Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello , I'm looking for some advice on a very strange noise which appears to be coming from the nearside driveshaft inner joint.
(I had replaced the track rod end on the drivers side and had the car at a garage to have the alignment set, the mechanic at the garage said that he thought the wheel bearing was shot on the nearside.)
However the noise , a slight grinding, can only be heard with the front wheel jacked up off the ground and spun by hand with wheels pointing straight, after about a 10 degree change on the steering towards either lock the noise stops.
It cannot be heard inside the car while driving and does not appear to happen at all when the wheel is loaded.
Does anyone have any idea what this could be ?
I'm starting to think it is a normal noise made by the cv joint when the wheel is unsupported .:confused:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
If theres no noise when you're driving the car then I can't see that there is too much wrong,the joint will be running at an unnatural angle when the car is jacked up so this doesn't give a true idea of whats happening with it.It could be the first signs of a problem but until it becomes evident when driving I wouldn't worry unduly about it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response Lagtdi.
I think I'll change the transmission oil in an attempt to reduce any wear and see whats in the old oil.
P.s. I see you're a Ducati man too , mine's a Multistrada.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I just admire bikes from a far I'm afraid,I am a complete numpty when it comes to riding them!.:d

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah this rumble happens on some renaults, it is totally normal when jacked up. I have also had suggestions by garage in the past to change drive shaft or bearing. Not needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts