Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon. I have a Renault Navigator 2009 1.9 DCI. Two weeks ago the car started making a noise from the right front wheel. It is a constant noise from starting to stopping. Then about a week ago the battery not charging display came on. From the comments I have read I understand that I need to look at the regulator of the alternator for the display, but is the noise and the display linked to a single problem or what could cause the noise. Being a woman any advise would be greatly appreciated before taking it in to a garage. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,278 Posts
I suspect the noise is a pulley on the auxiliary belt system.
And that the belt has given up.
I don't recommend driving it until checked...when an aux belt fails it can throw bits into the timing belt.
And that can scrap the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect the noise is a pulley on the auxiliary belt system.
And that the belt has given up.
I don't recommend driving it until checked...when an aux belt fails it can throw bits into the timing belt.
And that can scrap the engine.
Hi there. Thank you very much. Had no intention of driving it as it sounds like its about to take off...Will have it checked out by the garage tomorrow. Many thanks.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,830 Posts
Get the alternator pulley checked they have a clutch that can fail

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good morning. Thank you for the advise it was very valuable and one hundred percent correct. It was the harmonic crankshaft pulley that had to be replaced. It also solved the battery not charging issue. Very, very grateful.

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Hi

hope you checked or changed the belt, if it was slipping at all it will have been compromised.
These belts, if they snap nearly always send debris into the timing belt area (despite all the covers !)
causing sometimes terminal engine damage.

Al

1 - 6 of 6 Posts