Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

Another niggle I have had since I bought the car but haven't yet asked about.

I hear a funny, excuse my description, swooshing noise like a 25kg bag of pea shingle being emtied when I accelerate. It's seems to be more noticable in 1st and 2nd gear although it's also noticable in higher gears. As I said it only seems to be when accelerating and more so under harder accelerating;) .

Any idea's:confused:

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi scatz could it be your cat sometimes when they go they can become noisy like that just a guess

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi scatz could it be your cat sometimes when they go they can become noisy like that just a guess
Hi Donald

Thanks and, forgive my dumb ass, but where is the cat coz the sound is coming from the front? Or, at least, it sounds like it is!

I would also of thought that the dash light for the cat would illuminate if it were on its way. I'm right in thinking there's a light for the cat aren't I? Can't be ar$ed to go out to the car to have a look at the manual right now but I'm sure there is;)

Am I right in thinking that's quite expensive as well?

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi Donald

Thanks and, forgive my dumb ass, but where is the cat coz the sound is coming from the front? Or, at least, it sounds like it is!

I would also of thought that the dash light for the cat would illuminate if it were on its way. I'm right in thinking there's a light for the cat aren't I? Can't be ar$ed to go out to the car to have a look at the manual right now but I'm sure there is;)

Am I right in thinking that's quite expensive as well?
Hi Scatz the cat will be at the front of the exhaust closest to the engine,yes the light should come on but not always as i said it is a guess and when the element part of the cat goes so to speak when under pressure ie acceleration it can make this type of noise but it is only a guess

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi Scatz the cat will be at the front of the exhaust closest to the engine,yes the light should come on but not always as i said it is a guess and when the element part of the cat goes so to speak when under pressure ie acceleration it can make this type of noise but it is only a guess
Sounds like a pretty good guess to me:) . That's one thing I would never have thought of. Cheers Donald.:beer:

Any other idea's folks:confused:

Too add; If it is the cat I found one for £86 on www, is that a good price and is it something that someone with half a brain could replace themselves?

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good guess to me:) . That's one thing I would never have thought of. Cheers Donald.:beer:

Any other idea's folks:confused:
Hi wait and see what other people say first as i said its a guess and i wish and hope the cat is not needing replaced as its more money money money:steam: always something isn't there????

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi yes you will be able to do this not a problem a tube of the exhaust paste and all the new seals for each end of the cat not a problem and releasing the sensor can be hard sometimes but not always i hope this helps Donald.

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its more money money money:steam: always something isn't there????
Yep, it's all totting up nicely at the moment but I haven't come across anything that's absolutely dire and essential to do straight away.

So far, the list is thus;

• Problem in this thread
  • My internal fan problem (the cars that is):d
  • front strut mounts/bearings
  • the need for discs and pads all round (normal wear and tear)
  • grinding noise from rear (believed and hopefully to be due to the fact I need new discs as they are quite worn)
All in all, not too bad for a nine year old car:)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Yep, it's all totting up nicely at the moment but I haven't come across anything that's absolutely dire and essential to do straight away.

So far, the list is thus;

• Problem in this thread
  • My internal fan problem (the cars that is):d
  • front strut mounts/bearings
  • the need for discs and pads all round (normal wear and tear)
  • grinding noise from rear (believed and hopefully to be due to the fact I need new discs as they are quite worn)
All in all, not too bad for a nine year old car:)
You will get there in the end, iam sure you are buying in for the new baby coming,hope all is going well in the department for the OH THINK v6 espace lol

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You will get there in the end, iam sure you are buying in for the new baby coming,hope all is going well in the department for the OH THINK v6 espace lol
Plenty of time to buy in for the bairn, thanks for asking Donald.

My little window cleaning business that I started recently will hopefully start earning some proper money in the forthcoming months as that's what I'm sort of relying on to get some money saved for a bigger motor - I've got £27 so far:rofl:

I'll tell you though, that's the most I have ever saved in my entire life and I'm quite proud of myself for doing so as normally any money lying around ends up going in the kids belly as McDonalds when there's plenty of healthy food in the larder:rolleyes:

I'm working on the assumption that if I can get around 3 jobs a day Monday to Friday then I'll have enough for the espace within the year, bearing in mind any money earned from my window cleaning is all extra:)

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I having real trouble imagining what a 25kg bag of pea shingle being emptied sounds like, because if you empty it onto a mattress it will sound totally different to emptying it onto your cat - what are we to imagine this 25kg of pea shingle being tipped out onto?

Is it by chance like a very small Irish tap dancing pixie on whizz skipping gleefully about upon an old tin roof? I mean like really quickly? Obviously he's wearing shoes made from pea shingle shells and it's not windy - is this the sound?

If it is then my advice is this: take the rubber off your rims, this will drown out the sound made by the pixies which can then be easily repaired by fashioning some new rubber rim-guards out of some old tyres, which can then be fitted to the rims hence forth ridding you of the noise. You'll still be left with the dancing pixie but by then it will sound like sweet music.

I hope this helps. :)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
It does sound a bit like the cat,but could also be a heat sheild rattling......not 100% sure about though!

I'm not sure if your car will have one or two Lambda sensors,but if it only has one,then the ECU won't know that the cat is faulty is not flag a fault.If it has two sensors,then it will.:)

I'm getting worried about Schmooster....I'm not sure that the small Irish tap dancer is the only one on whizz...:d;)

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went to get me exhaust system checked 'tother day and found nothing untoward there. Heat shields were all secured correctly as well.

Could it possibly be something to do with the gear box? Does the gear box have fluids in it which could be low?

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BUMP:d

One other thing I have noticed is that there is that 'eggy' smell sometimes (rarely) under acceleration, this is still pointing me toward the cat, would I be right in thinking that?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts