Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello,for the past 5 weeks my auxillary belt screams when i start my 2002 1.6 renault laguna.As soon as i put baby powder on it it stops.The belt is about 6 months on it ,but it seemed to start after it was service,could there be oil on the belt as i said when i put powder on it it stops straight away,:confused:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Are you sure it's the timing belt?.

It sounds more like an auxillary belt or auxillary belt idler/tensioner bearing problem?.

If you can see the belt without removing any covers,then it's the auxillary belt.:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
screaming belt,

the belt is on the right side of the engine,there are no covers on it,but i didnt think a auxillary belt could be that big

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The auxillary belt drives the aircon pump,power steering pump,the alternator etc,so it's quite long!.

It sounds like either the belt isn't tensioned properly,or there is a noisy bearing in one of the pulleys.

It's something that needs sorting out soon,as if the belt is slipping it could break,and pieces of it could go into the cambelt covers causing serious engine damage.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It will definetly not be the timing belt, it will squeal as the altenator charges the battery after starting. Is it tight enough, you can also get anti belt slip in a spray can from belt suppliers, usually on industrial estates, look in the yellow pages.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts