Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
21,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday when I went to put down the passenger side electric window it made a god awful screeching noise on the way down, it doesnt do this on the way up.

The noise sounds like the rubber scrapeing on the glass. I figured this was due to the warm / hot weather so left it. I tried it again this morning after it had been raining overnight and it went down silently. Happy days I thought ! I then tried it at lunchtime today (its now dry) and its making the noise again. :mad:

Is there anything I can do to stop it screeching ? Something I can grease etc ?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Dave - yeh the windows tend to groan when the runners get dry - you could try spraying the guides with silicon spray - but in all honesty I would advise stripping the door and spraying the mechanism and cables with spray grease as the window winder mechanism is a bit of a weak point on renaults.:)

P.S. A short term solution is to squirt some dishwashing liquid down the channels but won't last long as the next shower of rain is likely to wash it away.

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
I had a similar problem in France last year, it was very hot and dry and there was a lot of dust and sand blowing around, we had the windows open a lot and the squeeking and grinding noise was due to fine particles in the rear runners of three of the windows. But Noels advice is good and it is certainly worthwhile lubricating the mechanism especially if you have electric windows as the strain on the motor will be lessened.
Regards Leroy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
I recently had the same problem with my Laguna, I also lubricated the mechanism but the problem was worn and rusty guides. If the problem persists I would suggest that you replace the window mechanism before your window seizes up.
My Renault dealer quoted £200.00 plus to replace it, I purchased the mechanism from a supplier of Renault motor spares and got my local mechanic to fit it. Total cost £100.00

John

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Ye p - I agree, this is the start of a failed window regulator.

We started off with screeching in FRance on holiday, then it went away because I sprayed some silicone in the rubber seals each side. Although the window still may a graunching" sound - a few weeks later it failed completley.
Dealer replaced the reg under warranty.
Our drivers side window was much the same, kept losing its auto up/down memeory as well. Although it didn't fail, my dealer kindly replaced the reg anyway as the car only had about 3 weeks warranty left on it.

At the very least I would try to get to the reg and lubricate the mechanism and cables as soon as you can, that may beenough.

·
Registered
6 Posts
happened to me in france

THE SAME THING HAPENED TO ME IN FRANCE LAST WEEK DURING THE WORST RAIN I HAVE EVER SEEN WAS DRIVING TO THE FERRY TERMINAL MY PARTNER OPENED THE WINDOW TO COLLECT TICKETS THEN IT WOULDN`T GO UP SHE WAS WAS GETTING SOAKED TWO GUYS WORKING ON THE DOCKS GAVE US A COUPLE OF BIN BAGS TO STOP WATER GETTING IN .

WHEN IT STOPPED RAINING I MANAGED TO PULL UP WINDOW WHILST MY PARTNER PRESSED THE SWITCH.

I CONTACTED THE WARRANTY COMPANY WHO TOLD ME TO TAKE IT TO A GARAGE A FEW MILES AWAY FROM ME ,A FEW HOURS LATER I GOT A PHONE CALL SAYING THE WARRANTY DID NOT COVER IT AS THE MOTOR WAS FINE BUT SOME CABLE HAD BEEN DAMAGED THEY SAID IT COULD BE FIXED FOR £336
I TOLD THEM WHERE TO GO AND TOOK THE CAR BACK HAD TO PAY THE GARAGE £24 INSPECTION FEE RIP OFF?.

I HAVE JUST BEEN ON EBAY AND SEEN REGULATORS WITHOUT MOTORS FOR AROUND £50 I THINKING OF GETTING ONE AND FITTING IT MYSELF HAS ANYONE BOUGHT ONE OF THESE WHAT ARE THEY LIKE TO FIT.
:crazy: :steam: :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Bob
I had to fit two window regulators within a matter of weeks and they worked perfectly. I did`nt purchase them from ebay. Im not sure if its allowed to give the name of the supplier on this forum, If you e-mail me I will give send you details of the supplier.

[email protected]

·
Administrator
21,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi mad / leroy.

Sorry I've not replied, been away from work for a long weekend.

Thanks for the info. I think it was down to the dry hot air as now its rainining its stopped completely :) Luckily its the passengar side window so it doesnt get opened that much and I tend to use the climate control more anyhow.

I've got a feeling it was fine particles trapped between the rubber and the windows, as there was dirt marks left on the window afterwards.

I've took your advice onboard about lubricating the inners of the window mechinism and will do this if it happens again.

The car is under warranty (not dealer) for another 18 months so will be claiming if needed ! :)

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts