Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Has anybody come across a loud engine rattle when you rev the car and the engine returns to idle, on the deceleration side? It almost sounds like gears not meshing properly or a chain vibrating? Ive done the old screw driver test where you try and use it as a stetherscope however the engine runs smooth? Any ideas:confused:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had a noise on a 1.5 cdi, which when it came on, caused loss of power. It came and went when the engine was revved. It would clear for a couple of days if I twisted the turbo pipes.
It turned out to be a pipe attached to the turbo. the seal apparently wears causing the coupling to rattle with engine revs. I was advised it was not a DIY job as special tools are needed, so I took it in and had this done together with a cambelt change as this also needed special tools?
This was not a cheap job and worked out at R5000 SA. but most of the cost was the cambelt.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi iVAN, I had a Citroen mechanic take a look tonight who knows the engine from the Citroen stable, and he seems to think that it is the cam rollers or similar? Starting to get a little worried as this doesn't sound cheap? I will be taking this back to the dealer as the car is only 4 weeks old, i will see how the warranty fares!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, also have a rattle on hot tick-over. Advised it may be the bi-mass flywheel which needs replacing. Am about to investigate further - the engine is out and stripped down !

HUntscraft

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, The 2.2 DCI rattle was not cured by replacing the dual mass flywheel (Dual mass clutch), but this cured crunchy gear changes as there was a lot of play in it and the springs had compressed. Also new DMF made the engine smoother at low revs.
Does not seem to be the gear chain. Current thinking is the pressure in the Rail is maxed out instead of low pressure when idling, and this is due to Regulator fault, Sensor fault, or HP pump problems in that order. Have ordered spare parts and will change them to check out.
Huntscraft

1 - 5 of 5 Posts