Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My 98 Scenic seems to be making some special sounds.

After it gets hot like on a longerish trip.
The gearbox will hold in gear and go to high revs before changing irratically.

There is sharp noise when I accelerate too quickly or when coasting down a hill and I let my foot off the gas. Syncromesh? something sounds like its grinding and that can't be good.

I try to be smooth accelerating and decelerating to counter but sometimes it just goes crazy.

Is my gearbox having a midlife crisis?
Any suggestions of what the problem is so I can weigh up some options.

Thanks

Fridge

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
auto

its an auto.

Ok I will get the fluids looked at.
But I am guessing its more complicated than this

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found out the noise was a nut flying around in the engine! Nice. geeze I will go back to that mechanic not.
The previous owner had taken it in to get fixed and obviously someone lost something in the motor.

I still have changing problems with the auto transmisssion. The charge light comes on and the gearbox goes haywire. Not sure if its an alternator/solenoid problem . Fixes itself for a while when i turn off and restart the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
computer light

It seems the other reasons for the problem was that the computer was going into safe mode.

This makes the engine sound really strange.

The light we thought was the battery was actually the computer light.

All is running well after going in to renault/nissan store and getting them to check . They replaced a solenoid on the transmission I think.

Anyway the dreaded light doesn't come on anymore and the engine doesn't make that awful noise. Hopefully no more pulling over on the highway to restart (and reset apparently) the car. It must be running windows...

Fridge

1 - 7 of 7 Posts