Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an X reg Scenic 2.0 16v and i have noticed the engine sounds like a diesel engine with a sort of tappetty noise that starts when the engine warms up. i had the oil changed but its still there. One garage suggested worn-out hydraulic valve lifters. Any ideas what this might be and what I need to do to sort it out?

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
I have a tappet rattle on my 1.4 Megane 2. You notice it most when decelerating between 3,100 and 3,000rpm. You also hear it 'buzz' when changing gear. A Renault tech came for a spin and said although there was a noise, he wasn't prepared to start stripping the engine down to find which of the 16 tappets was rattling until it had got to the point where performance/fuel consumption was affected. I still have 18 month of warranty left so if it does get worse I just have to hope that it happens within that time. I could end up with excessive wear on the cam lobe requiring a replacement camshaft and new hydraulic tappet (assuming the lobe runs directly onto the tappet and not via a rocker arm).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts