Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just been camping for the weekend in my new grand scenic with panoramic sunroof.
Fitted the Renault bars and Renault roof box, got up to about 60 and went deaf with the noise!
I thought at first that it was the bars whistling, but when I opened the drivers window an inch, the noise stopped.
I think it must be the wind rushing between the roof and the box "sucking" at the sunroof.
Anyone else have this problem, any ideas for a solution?
Cheers
Stacey

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Yeh this is quite common when fitting roof bars and boxes - it's known as the venturi affect when air is forced through or over an opening and speed causing a vacuum. (similar to blowing accross the neck of a bottle) When you open the window it allows air into the low pressure area and lets the pressure equalise. Can you raise or lower the box as this might help - the other way is to have a air dam fitted on front to reduce the speed of air traveliing between the box and the roof - that's why you are warned to remove the roof rack or box when not needed as it also decrease the MPG substantially. Maybe the box is not designed to be used at the speeds over 50 MPH or so.:)

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
Have you tried putting the fresh air intakes fully on instead of on the recircularity setting, or putting the fresh air fan on?

Might help ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
If it really gets on your nerves then closing the fresh air intakes and recirculating the air will bring temporary relief but, of course, then the air degrades!

From one whose sunroof does this ALL THE TIME with no box or bars. And to think I paid extra for it! - thanks Renault..:crazy:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts