Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi hope someone can help me. My car is a 2002 Renault Laguna 1.9DCI and i have been having a bit of trouble with it. On Thursday lunchtime last week i drove about three miles stopped off for about ten minutes and then the car would not start. I got towed home and later on that night the car started fine. The next day i drove the car about forty miles and it was fine no lumpiness or warning lights etc. On Saturday I drove about five miles, stalled at a roundabout and the same problem with non starting occured. The RAC came to the rescue run their computer checks and came up with 3 possible faults. 1) fault 66 the glow plug relay as one of the glow plugs appears to be staying on 2) fault 97 - The clutch switch and 3) fault 77 egr valve. I looked on the forum on Sunday saw that a lot of members recommended changing the TDC sensor and I have changed this in the hope that it was that but to no avail - the car is not starting at all now and i dont want to be spending loads of money on a glow plug relay if anyone has any other ideas first:confused:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I would hold fire with the glow plug relay,it won't cause the problems your having.

Has the car started at all since you fitted the new TDC sensor?.

When it refuses to start,does it just turn over on the starter motor and not fire?.

R

·
0 Posts
i dont want to be spending loads of money on a glow plug relay if anyone has any other ideas first:confused:
You can check that by removing one of the glow plugs (if you haven't got a spare one) leave it connected and earth it to the engine and see if the glow plug gets hot when you turn the ignition on. Though these engines will start with out the glow plug unit working.

I have a friend who has a 1.9Dci Laguna and has been having starting problems he found the glow plug module had packed changed it and found the car still wouldn't always start.

He recently removed the TDC sensor and cleaned it as it was covered in magnetic debris which really made a big difference and improved the starting. However 2 weeks on it's started acting up again.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
And has it ever started since the TDC sensor was replaced?.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry yes the car just turns over but will not start but when it was running it was running fine with no warning lights or other problems and still getting 56mpg out on a journey

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Have you tried putting the old sensor back in it to see if it will then start?.It could be a faulty sensor.......was it a genuine Renault one?.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes it was brand new and the car was not firing up anyway before we replaced it just turning over

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Why not try to start car using aerosel can of brake
cleaner using sparling into intake pipe whilst cranking
if vehicle starts get a injector leak off test done
Hth Regards Mickeybo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And has it ever started since the TDC sensor was replaced?.
no the car has not started since the tdc was changed but my husband is getting really fed up he has changed the fuel relay switch and someone has suggested it could be the fuel filter but i do not really want to pay out anymore money on maybes have you got any ideas
:confused:

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
On your glow plug control module you should have a 12v feed from terminals 8 & 9 which go to ecu pin no's bb2 & bc3 one of these feeds fire up the ecu
the other one powers up glow plugs needs checked
Check for 12v's at key on ecu pin no bl1 fuel pressure regulator. Check fuel rail pressure sensor by back probing with key on at terminal 3 must have
a 5v feed back probing terminal 2 key on must have
o.5 v check when cranking what voltage at terminal 2 Hth Regards Mickeybo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts