Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car running perfectly fine, no apparent problem. Go back to car 90 mins after last running it, find the headlights have turned themselves on?? and the car won't start. All sorts of odd stuff going on with lights on the dash - oddball error messages etc. That's what's described to me when I take the phone call at work. My advice was get out of the car - lock it - wait a few secs - open it, try again - no joy.

I get home, get into the car, all as normal on dash display - foot on brake, press start button, small half sec groan from starter then dash messages kick off, wipers crawl across screen (not switched on). Got a voltmeter out, battery shows 7V. It's now on a very slow charge - any ideas? Sudden battery failure?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Sudden battery failure it could very well be.

It is quite rare,but it does happen.It would certaintly explain the odd behaviour of your car!.I'd invest in a new battery and go from there,I doubt very much that you'll rescue your old battery by charging it.:eek:

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, a night on the slow charger got it started and normal service resumed, so off to the dealer to get a new battery fitted and the predictable 'yes I know it's only done 22k miles, and it's still under warranty, but the battery warranty is for a year only'. Time for a conversation with Renault I think - anyone else had a problem with a battery going whilst the car is still under warranty?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had a similar problem, to which I need to find a solution. Car started normally (petrol 2 litre Scenic) then 10 minute drive. Parked car and returned to it 5 minutes later. Refused to start - not even the faintest sign of it trying to start. Battery seemed OK as headlights, radio etc. all working. Error messages flashed, but almost to quickly gone to read. Something about a brake error. Clock restarted. Could not lock car until about 20 attempts. Appears as if handbrake is locked so cannot give it a push. Renault garage closed on the weekend, with the car parked on the street! Any suggestions welcome. I am not even mechanically minded.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
HI Birdman - sounds like a duff battery - once its voltage output drops to a low voltage the ECU and other electrics go bananas. I suggest you disconnect the battery and see if it helps. I also suggest you get the battery load tested and the output of the alternator checked:) You could also try the battery terminals are OK clean and tight, etc:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Scenic 1.9dci Privilege Ocotber 2004. Battery went from being fine to totally dead overnight one month after warranty expired (along with glo plug!). New battery fine, but, prior to death I had alarm refusing to set, no power steering from cold start and wipers stopping dead on road. No such problems since, so, as above, I suspect low voltage created havoc with the software.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
HI Birdman - sounds like a duff battery - once its voltage output drops to a low voltage the ECU and other electrics go bananas. I suggest you disconnect the battery and see if it helps. I also suggest you get the battery load tested and the output of the alternator checked:) You could also try the battery terminals are OK clean and tight, etc:)
Under no circumstances run the engine without a battery being connected. An over voltage spike from the alternator can occur which will wreck every piece of electronic gear in the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts