Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Is it normal to be able to hear the whoosh of the turbo when accelerating inside the car?

I took it to the garage the other day to get the rear door seal and wing mirror fixed and I started hearing this noise when I drove it home. Not sure if I just never heard it before or whether its a new noise.

Cheers

Dan

L

·
0 Posts
Is there any sign of smoke?

A whistle is quite normal, but a woosh suggests an air leak in the intake system.

But if it is just like a quick woosh sound (like a dump valve but more subtle), when you change gear, it could be the wastgate actuator you are hearing as it releases wasted gasses.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's no smoke but I can hear this whooshing noise over the sound of the regular engine noise in the car over about 2k rpm. It sounds like its emanating from the passenger side and starts pretty much as soon as the turbo starts to kick in and then it stops when i take my foot off the accelerator.

P

·
0 Posts
As mentioned above, I would suggest a leak in the pipework between the turbo and the engine, or perhaps the intercooler

L

·
0 Posts
Sounds like a leak, I'd get it checked ASAP because it can indicate turbo on the way out too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
New to renaults but have had 7 turbo petrols. Including Rs Turbos and cosworths in the 90's and Audi S2 '3 and 6 in the 00's and currently have a Mitso Ralliart. I made up a pressure tester using an end cap from domestic piping then placed a valve from a bike tyre into it. Then from the turbo outpipe place the pressure tester or a spray can to plug the hole and tester the other side. Then just put pressure into it using normal pump. Have used this many times on my Cosworth and Audi S2. Always found the fault (if there). Can photo device and email if required. Very crude but effective!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, although i wouldn't really know where to start as in connecting everything up and what to look for etc. The cars gone to the garage for an ABS fault so am getting them to check over the turbo as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Daan_vb,

Did you get any joy with your possible turbo fault only I have a similar noise and I wondered if mine could be down to a hole in the pipework too. As yet I have not found anything but not sure where to look.

Cheers, Chris.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts