Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there we have just bought an old caravan and was wondering if anyone knows that the noseweight is for a Laguna 1998/9 Alize car is?

Many thanks

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
As long as you don't have one of the 7 seater estates, I'm pretty sure it's 75Kg.

If you've already fitted the towbar, then the type approval plate should show the maximum permissible noseweight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for that, yes we did have a towbar fitted by a mobile towbar fitter and there is no sticker. We looked at the instructions and it just states that it is the correct towbar for the Laguna and to check with vehicle for noseweight.

Thanks for links I will check them out.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Thanks for that, yes we did have a towbar fitted by a mobile towbar fitter and there is no sticker. We looked at the instructions and it just states that it is the correct towbar for the Laguna and to check with vehicle for noseweight.

Thanks for links I will check them out.
No worries!

There must be a type approval plate on there somewhere. It's a legal requirement. Sometimes it's not that obvious though. It could be on the main cross-member, which is mostly hidden by the bumper. It could well be a hands and knees job to get to see it.

For cars that started production after late 1998, it's probably impossible to get a non-approved bar anyway, but as the Laguna I pre-dates that and non-approved bars are available, I'd make a point of looking for the approval plate. If you can't find it, get in touch with the fitter and ask him where to look. If it turns out that he's fitted a non-approved bar, demand a replacement. He should have known better.

If you ever bump into PC Pedantic while towing, he might well check this out. Worse still, if you ever have an accident while towing, you may just find that a non-approved bar voids your insurance. Some shoddily designed non-approved Laguna I bars bolt onto the spare wheel well instead of using the proper forward mounting points. Metal fatigue can set in over time, especially if you tow a twin axle trailer, and it's actually possible for the bar to rip the bottom out of the boot.

Sorry to be all doom and gloom over this, but I'm sure you'd prefer to know now, rather than when things turn nasty.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Try contacting renault and asking, I small tip I bought some spring assistors from Towsure for my old Saab and they made a big difference, Don't increase nose weight but help to stop alot of bouncing around. They are realy easy to fit aswell

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Label

I have just looked on the towbar label and it states:-

PCT Automotive

A50-x
D=17.2 kN
S= 350 kg

Is this anything to do with the noseweight? or is this the approval plate?

Many Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Here's a link to a Google image search that should give you some idea of what you're looking for. The plates are all different, but must carry certain information. I thought that noseweight was one of those items, but I could be wrong.

type approval plate towbar - Google Image Search

At the very least, you should be seeing a country of origin (an 'e' number - 'e11' if it's made in the UK) and an approval number. I think it's also supposed to have the noseweight on, but I could be wrong. All of the examples I've found seem to have it though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Noseweight on your caravan normally should be between 50kg - 100kg, A car manufacturer will give you the maximum noseweight of a van you can tow, so if Renault give you a maximum noseweight of only 60kg then this will effect your choice of van.
Rather than try to explain, look HERE and click on "Your top twenty caravanning questions answered", I think non members of the club can view this :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts