Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I noticed I had a coolant leak from somewhere around the water pump. Could be where the rad pipe enters the pump housing or perhaps a gasket or seal somewhere.

Either way, I had a constant drip that was running down onto the front of the sump and dripping onto the ground (definitely coolant)

So, I thought I'd road test this stuff and post back the verdict, good or bad. Cost me €15 from my local motor factor.
Might be of some use to someone.

Watch this space!!

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
If I had a leak from round the water pump I would want to know exactly where its from if it is the pump seal and the bearing goes it will takeout the timing belt causing a major problem

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I know what you mean. I'm intending getting cam belt kit and water pump fitted when I gather the funds. Hopefully this fix (if it works) will buy me a bit of time.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
All it will do is screw up the cooling system by blocking the radiator,the heater matrix and any other small water ways.Instead of just replacing the water pump you'll end up replacing the head gasket due to poor coolant flow around the system.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it's in the system since this afternoon, hopefully their claim that it won't clog is right.
I'll post back my results over the next few days and see if it's cured or killed it either way.
Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Day 1 after adding Novastop:

The leak seems to have stopped as there is no drip any more and the level in the expansion tank seems to be holding.

Took the car on a long drive today and left it to idle for about 20mins afterwards.
Fan kicked in and out and temp never went above normal.

Fingers crossed!

Watch this space.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Day two:

All good so far, no drips and coolant level fine.

I must add that there are many reasons for a coolant leak and perhaps this additive (may have) cured mine (temporarily?)
Perhaps I just got lucky and the leak was fixable by this stuff, perhaps others wouldn't see any benefit.

Anyways, despite my ongoing concern about the stuff blocking vital waterways, I'm so far impressed with it.

Watch this space.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had reason to use Novastop about four months ago when my 1996 Toyota Starlet developed a leak in the heater matrix.

It fixed the problem well, and made no difference to the performance, and normal running temp of the engine.

I had heard the horror stories however, and only used this as it was a short-term fix to get my elderly car through the last few months.

Now I have a Megane, and have a water leak exactly as you describe yours - running down from somewhere hidden on the left side of the engine, and dripping off the sump.

I had a new timing belt and water pump fitted by Renault two weeks ago, and didn't have the problem before then, so I am bringing it in to them today for them to look at.

I'll report back on what takes place.

C635

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I've used KSeal on a few cars & motorbikes that I've had, just purely as a pre-cautionary measure.

Happy to say that I've never had a problem with any running issues.

Personally, I think a lot depends on the type of running you do; long journeys (where the engine properly gets up to temp) are best, whereas short hops would (I'd imagine) lead to the product collecting where its going to be counter-productive.

I had a rad fail on my Scorpio, and it plugged it for 18 months whilst I searched for a new rad for under £500, it also stopped a small intermittent leak in the front passenger footwell at the same time.

Just my 2p's worth.

Paul

Reactions: StephenDublin

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 week after adding Novastop, no leak, normal temp and nothing nasty has happened as yet!

Will update in a couple of weeks.

Watch this space.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
3 weeks on and all seems fine.
I won't update this thread any more as I think it's served it's purpose.

I'm sure this stuff won't fix all leaks, but I'm very happy with the result I got.

Each to their own, sometimes you just get lucky I guess!

Happy motoring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts