Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Number plates

And about time too. Surely a new safer method of number plating could be found. I would agree to any new method providing it is foolproof.
Normc3943

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ah, how comfortable, ain't that just the easiest way to push over the table the new plate EU standard.
Here, they just drill your car and poprivet the back pate to the car with a marked poprivet.
If such is missing, you're into serious trouble.

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
And about time too. Surely a new safer method of number plating could be found. I would agree to any new method providing it is foolproof.
Normc3943
How though:confused: I'd be intrigued to see what they could come up with, any idea's anyone?

I'm all for new things:)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
In Northern Ireland they are considering a law that states you cannot purchase a new plate without producing the Registration documents and photographic ID. All plate suppliers will need to be registered and keep records of new plates sold. Additionally they are considering a once only adhesive system whereby if you remove the plate the adhesive backing is damaged and will show up on road cameras. But no doubt some character on the net will sell plates to get round the law.:)

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
In the uk they allready have the rules of id and documents in order to get a number plate so how do people do it? they just take them of cars. It is alot easier for them and works out cheaper for them aswell.

Whatever way comes up their will be a way arround it, their always is and it is just a method of throwing of criminals for a while. Plus although some cars will have the new system the majority will still have the old.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi thats what i do not understand is way people insist on hiding there No plates online me included because surly they could just pass you on the street and do it, but i suppose its eseyer to go on line and find car colour and take the plate No but as i said they could just do it on the street,it does not matter what they come up with they will get round it thats a fact:crazy: :steam: thats life but i guess if it helps some people then its job done but its just going to be money wasted i think as i said they will get round i hope not but they will:crazy: :crazy:

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
The idea of hiding your plates on-line is still a good 'un. If the crooks have any sense, they won't want to clone a local vehicle. If you live in Aberdeen and you clone the ID of a car that's based in Cardiff, then you're a lot less likely to bump into the original car's owner than if you just keep your eyes peeled for a similar car in your area and get plates made up to match that.

Having read the article, I actually quite liked the idea of the chip, linked to ANPR cameras. But it would have to be on the understanding that these cameras would automatically discard any images of cars that were found to have matching chips and plates, and that the whole system wasn't just some clandestine attempt to sneak road toll technology out into the field.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The idea of hiding your plates on-line is still a good 'un. If the crooks have any sense, they won't want to clone a local vehicle. If you live in Aberdeen and you clone the ID of a car that's based in Cardiff, then you're a lot less likely to bump into the original car's owner than if you just keep your eyes peeled for a similar car in your area and get plates made up to match that.

Having read the article, I actually quite liked the idea of the chip, linked to ANPR cameras. But it would have to be on the understanding that these cameras would automatically discard any images of cars that were found to have matching chips and plates, and that the whole system wasn't just some clandestine attempt to sneak road toll technology out into the field.
Yep, I think you have hit the nail on the head there Horatio, A clandestine attempt to introduce another form of surveillance, Tell us it is for our protection first then who knows what else is being gathered and stored and who will have access to it all, Road tolls, Insurance companys, Your work, etc etc ...

We have all seen the huge errors that can occur with technology and how can you correct wrong/damaging information if you don't know what is stored ?

Get them to fit it to all MPs & Government officials cars for 5 years prior to the general public eh.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi 90% of cars that are cloned are from local areas in and around London,Manchester,Birmingham and its only to get the car sold on what happens after that is the drivers headache so to speak and the sellers are long gone:crazy: as i said it does not matter what they do they will get round it they said that with chip and pin was unbreakable:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: what a joke,the cards that are being cloned its up to you as a card holder to prove that it was not yourself that did it and you have to then foot the bill on the other card so to speak because the cloned card that they use is using your details and it looks to the bank that its your problem as the cloned card that they used was used with you chip and pin number:steam:what joke:steam:

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was the whole idea of the chip & pin Donald to change the onus from the Banks/retailer to the customer that is why there was the great rush to implement it.

No one handles it but you ?

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
That was the whole idea of the chip & pin Donald to change the onus from the Banks/retailer to the customer that is why there was the great rush to implement it.

No one handles it but you ?

Regards

Ottoman
Hi Otto i watched a program last week on this and thats just it, it not the card holders problem, do not ask me how they do it but its being done at a astounding rate but the card holder is left with the nightmare and trying to explain that they have not shared there details but someone has found a way round it and there is cloned card galore:crazy: :steam:

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
People are to free with their cards giving it to waiters etc and inputting pins in front of them while lets say not quite sober, Leaving cards behind bars to pay for drinks tabs etc giving a card to an employee who has only being there a couple of days all leaves the cardholder open to cloning .

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
People are to free with their cards giving it to waiters etc and inputting pins in front of them while lets say not quite sober, Leaving cards behind bars to pay for drinks tabs etc giving a card to an employee who has only being there a couple of days all leaves the cardholder open to cloning .

Regards

Ottoman
Its very scary indeed i do not use them or have them but if i did it would well protected to say the least,welcome to todays world:crazy: :steam: :( what is it all coming to

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Chip and PIN should be harder to defeat once they finally get rid of the magnetic strip. Right now, its major flaw is that it can currently be used as "magnetic strip and PIN" instead if the chip fails to read. In my experience, retailers are far too quick to give up on the chip too. It's rare that they'll try the chip more than once, and most just go straight to the magnetic strip reader after the first failed attempt.

The real idiocy of credit and debit cards is the inclusion of the verification code on the back. This is effectively your PIN for ordering stuff on-line or over the phone. They tell you to guard your cash and over-the-counter PIN from prying eyes, yet they print your PIN for 'customer not present' transactions on the rear of the card. It's bordering on cretionous if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Although the replies are going away from the number plate theme, I quite agree with all the comments.
After all it is still about security and the more discussion the better. As Horatio points out trade people will try a couple of times and then swipe the card for signature. I once purchased a keyboard for £2000 and after a couple of failed pin inputs my signature was accepted. All of this was without any query, I could have found the card in the street for all they knew. Getting back to number plates, it was reported on TV about number plates that disintegrates if they are tampered with. Is this a satisfactory solution I wonder.
Regards
Normc3943

1 - 16 of 16 Posts