Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has recently failed mot due to number plate light not working I've changed the bulbs and still not working so I am guessing I need a new loom can any one tell me how difficult this would be for me to do myself and how would I go about doing it many thanks . R

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,748 Posts
Was it only the number plate lights ,,on the electrics ,,if yes ,,find the wires going to the light unit ,test if you have power here ,, check the earth connections,, also check that the bulbs are making a good contact with the light unit connections ,,,

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
If all other lights are working OK then it unlikely to be a fuse fault. Ideally you need to check for voltage and earth continuity at its bulb holder/s otherwise you be searching for days. Start at the bulb holders and work your way back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If all other lights are working OK then it unlikely to be a fuse fault. Ideally you need to check for voltage and earth continuity at its bulb holder/s otherwise you be searching for days. Start at the bulb holders and work your way back.
Would it be easier to change the loom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would it be easier to change the loom

In one word "no" In my experience most bulb problems on car are due to poor connections and for £5-00 to £10-00 for a meter you can save a lot of time and money.

I've picked up a 2nd loom for 15 quid and it's got 90 day warranty I got that because I'm not to handy with the wiring of electrics and got a quote from a garage for 30 quid to fit it for me

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
1,960 Posts
You're using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. You may be in for all sorts of computer bother if you change the loom and you don't even know it's at fault.
Get a meter and check the circuits.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. You may be in for all sorts of computer bother if you change the loom and you don't even know it's at fault.
Get a meter and check the circuits.
Okay ill get that looked into first thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
8,480 Posts
Like everyone else as said you need to check for any kind of voltage at the terminals before replacing anything..

Just a thought your not using LED bulbs in the number plate lights are you?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts