Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just had a service done on my MKII 172 2002. Part of the report says "O/S Ball Joint worn". I understand this is the ball joint on the drivers side but a few questions:

1) What is a ball joint?
2) What does it do?
3) What does it look like?
4) How much are they to replace on my car?
5) How difficult a job is it?
6) Where can I get one from?

The service centre said I would need the new ball joint, tracking and 1.5 hours labour.

Anyone have any pictures?

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi the Hours of labour are about right and the tracking iam not sure about but would do no wrong to have it done.The ball is at the end of the wishbone arm and its all to do with steering and suspension you normally get wear with it and or the rubber tears and then has to be replaced most are about £25 from any good motor factors.Iam unsure what car and year you have but a guess is that the old ballpoint will need pressed out and the new one pressed in on some wishbones the ballpoint can only be replaced once you will know if it has been replaced before as there will be a nick out of the bottom of the ball joint to let you know it has been done before.If it has you will need to buy a complete wishbone at about £70 i hope this help all the best Donald.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts