Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently got a check emmisions warning light come up on the dashboard of my 2012 Renault master. To figure out what was causing it, I bought an OBD2 scanner. After trying to connect with the van it is saying "link error". Any idea what could be causing that? The male and female ports don't seem to be connecting perfectly, but if I position it correctly, the scanner stays on and can run through the protocols but just always returns "link error". Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Silly question but do you have the engine running? I found with the Clio that it wasn't connecting until I pressed the "start" button to start the engine, (even if it won't start).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Silly question but do you have the engine running? I found with the Clio that it wasn't connecting until I pressed the "start" button to start the engine, (even if it won't start).
Following the instructions, I just have the ignition on but not the engine running...

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,254 Posts
Here's hoping
Can you check your interface/scanner on another car , just to be sure it works first

Two fuses on your master covering Diagnostic socket
Both Number 5 Fuse
One of the fuses is in the internal fuse box.
This below
As you look at the fuse box 4 columns of fuses.
2nd row up, in the 4th column ( Should be a 7.5 fuse )
Check this one

One in the under bonnet Fuse box
As you look at the fusebox, one of the corners has been cut away
( Looks like a triangle is missing off the corner )
Take this corner missing as bottom, Follow the side up
Column of 3 fuses, or spaces for 3 fuses 2nd fuse up again 7.5 amp
Check both of these.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's hoping
Can you check your interface/scanner on another car , just to be sure it works first

Two fuses on your master covering Diagnostic socket
Both Number 5 Fuse
One of the fuses is in the internal fuse box.
This below
As you look at the fuse box 4 columns of fuses.
2nd row up, in the 4th column ( Should be a 7.5 fuse )
Check this one

One in the under bonnet Fuse box
As you look at the fusebox, one of the corners has been cut away
( Looks like a triangle is missing off the corner )
Take this corner missing as bottom, Follow the side up
Column of 3 fuses, or spaces for 3 fuses 2nd fuse up again 7.5 amp
Check both of these.
I have checked all those fuses and they are all fine. I wonder if it has something to do with the connection between the male and female ports between the scanner and the car. I have to fiddle around to get the scanner to stay powered, but if I find the right angle then it stays powered and is able to go through the initial protocols. I have tried trying to take out the female port on the van but it is pretty firmly wedged in the metal casing. Do you think this connection could be causing the issue? Thanks for your help!

·
38,254 Posts
Small screwdriver, and press hard on that tab marked orange
( You have checked your scanner works on another car.)

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Small screwdriver, and press hard on that tab marked orange
( You have checked your scanner works on another car.)
Managed to get it out. It seems that it was the loose connection that was causing the problem and it now works fine. I have now got the codes I need. There were 5 codes in total.
P2425 P2425 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Cooling Valve Control Circuit/Open
P2457 P2457 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Cooling System Performance
P1457 P1457 Code – What Does It Mean & How To Fix It - OBD2PROS
P2456 P. P1456 P.

The last two codes are the same as the previous ones with a P at the end.
Do you think these codes highlight something I could fix myself?

·
38,254 Posts
Need size of your engine

·
38,254 Posts
Yours got 1 of these fitted

Would be checking if this is still working
But start at the EGR first, make sure the metal plate inside the EGR is still there

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yours got 1 of these fitted

Would be checking if this is still working
But start at the EGR first, make sure the metal plate inside the EGR is still there
So I looked at some troubleshooting for that code and one of the first things it says to do is to look at engine coolant levels. Had a look and the engine coolant is basically empty and well below the minimum threshold. Would this have done much damage? Do you think it implies a leak somewhere? I had an MOT just over a month ago, would have assumed this would be something they would check.

·
38,254 Posts
Can only say Top up
Then ( If undershield is fitted, remove it ) go give it a good run
Put a piece of cardboard under the engine and see if any water drops down
Check inside Cab for water, unlikely as this normally means you are forever cleaning steam from the screen.
But thought I would mention it just in case

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can only say Top up
Then ( If undershield is fitted, remove it ) go give it a good run
Put a piece of cardboard under the engine and see if any water drops down
Check inside Cab for water, unlikely as this normally means you are forever cleaning steam from the screen.
But thought I would mention it just in case
Thanks for your help. Would I need to flush the system out before topping up? Not sure what type of coolant was in there before, the handbook doesn't say what type to use.

·
38,254 Posts
Just use water at this point, you need to find the leak first. if no signs of a leak, then empty system and fill with antifreeze.
Any motor factor will tell you correct antifreeze for your car
Its not cheap, and if its leaking, more money going down the drain
No pun intended LOL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just use water at this point, you need to find the leak first. if no signs of a leak, then empty system and fill with antifreeze.
No pun intended LOL
Well now I know for sure there is a leak. As soon as I put water into the engine coolant chamber it started leaking quite a lot. I took a couple of videos but cannot seem to upload them here. The water is coming out of the radiator. I caught it in a picture. Tried to trace it back from the radiator but couldn't see where the leak originated from. When I first started putting water in the engine coolant chamber it wasn't leaking super quick but now it has stopped and the water is just below the "max" line.
No pun intended LOL
Well now I know for sure there is a leak. As soon as I put water into the engine coolant chamber it started leaking quite a lot. I took a couple of videos but cannot seem to upload them here. The water is coming out of the radiator. I caught it in a picture. Tried to trace it back from the radiator but couldn't see where the leak originated from. When I first started putting water in the engine coolant chamber it was leaking super quick but now it has stopped and the water is just below the "max" line. Any ideas what's going on?

·
38,254 Posts
Front end off now then
Then you can get at radiator
Looking promising
AGAIN dont put anti freeze in even when you have sussed Rad
Fill with water
Run it and make sure nothing else has gone t1ts up

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Front end off now then
Then you can get at radiator
Looking promising
AGAIN dont put anti freeze in even when you have sussed Rad
Fill with water
Run it and make sure nothing else has gone t1ts up
Can see the part in the radiator which is leaking. Looks like a nail or something has created a bit of a gap. How to fix this? Would leak sealant do the job? Seems like I am getting somewhere now!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts