Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

So after much research I was convinced my Megane was OBDII compliant...

So I went ahead and bought an ELM327 v1.4 Scanner of fleebay and plugged it in. Great! It seems to work. Loaded up the software and it can only get 2 readings?! Fuel 1 Open/Closed state and Battery voltage. Did some more digging in the software and it also seems to be able to read DTC's, but as expected reports nothing wrong.

How accurate is this? Is it worth me keeping my scanner?

Kind regards.

Edit: One of the apps i used reported a Lighting ECU, what's this?

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
as said its very limited on what it can read just out of intrest what software are you using i use pcm scan but its still very limited

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
4,268 Posts
Hi All,

So after much research I was convinced my Megane was OBDII compliant...

So I went ahead and bought an ELM327 v1.4 Scanner of fleebay and plugged it in. Great! It seems to work. Loaded up the software and it can only get 2 readings?! Fuel 1 Open/Closed state and Battery voltage. Did some more digging in the software and it also seems to be able to read DTC's, but as expected reports nothing wrong.

How accurate is this? Is it worth me keeping my scanner?

Kind regards.

Edit: One of the apps i used reported a Lighting ECU, what's this?
very handy tool to have the ones you use on a laptop are best as you can use many different programmes and not bad for around the £25-£30 mark
Ron

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Most of the so called scanners& software sold on ebay are a con IMO, claiming to read/erase & eradicate almost any electrical problems.
Easy OBD is exactly that, easy & almost useless! :)

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
4,268 Posts
Most of the so called scanners& software sold on ebay are a con IMO, claiming to read/erase & eradicate almost any electrical problems.
Easy OBD is exactly that, easy & almost useless! :)
the basic programmes are just that basic as you have said
its a you get what you pay for when it comes to the software
Ron

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone.

To answer the first question, I actually got it as a 'Just in case' as I would like to know about a fault prior to the garage so that I don't get ripped off and such, it also has the added advantage for me to learn.

I was also kind of hoping to get a little more info just as a 'cos i can' if i were to ever install an intelligent HU or build my own. Random dials and gauges and are fun!

So is it worth me keeping? I tried about 4 different apps including EasyOBD and ScanTool.net Free. They all report not much, but all seem to agree they can communicate with the DTC and say nothing is stored. Happy days?

Many thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.