Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just noticed that the tyres on my 1998 Megane are different!
On the front they are 185 and on the back they are 175.
The wheels look to be standard fit.
Does anybody know if Renault fitted different sized front and rear tyres? Or has some numpty put the wrong tyres on?
If so how concerend should I be?

Rory

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Hello,

Sounds like the wrong tyres to me, maybe the thinner tyre 175/65 is for a lower spec or smaller engined car and the have been put on by mistake.

Dont think renault would have put those size tyre mixes on, doesn't make sense.

I'd find out which size should be on your vehicle and get them changed, if you have an accident your insurance could be invalidated by the tyre mixup.

best of luck

Murchin

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, no I've never heard of a front wheel drive car having different-sized tyres (supercars, yes - they car have them for high-speed driving advantages).

What's probably happened is that either;

Someone was intending to increase the tyre size (for grip), and sold the car before the set was complete.
or
There was a sale on the size which the car shouldn't be wearing - and the numpty was a bit mean.
or
The wheels with the 'wrong' tyres on, are off another model in the range - the wheels will be date stamped on the inside face (but it necessitates removing the wheels & the crud which has built up).

There is also the remote possibility that the owner was a trackday wannabe, and was trying to combat the effects of understeer...

Its up to you what you do - the difference isn't really going to be that noticeable (except in very extreme conditions, which you wouldn't/shouldn't experience) on the public road. In the event of a claim - plead ignorance - most drivers barely check their pressures - fewer even check their tread - how few check the sizes?

If the tyres have plenty of wear left on them - I'd keep them on (if it were me), and replace them with what you prefer when the time comes.

Remember, it is no more illegal or for that matter invalidating your insurance, than fitting a 'spacesaver' spare (at least your car has both sides of the axle wearing the same size....).

Hope I've helped to reassure you (in some way).

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Please dont take this the wrong way, but there is a big difference between fitting a spacesaver and having 2 sizes of tyre on a vehicle. Spacesavers are an emergency item supplied by the manufacturer and are intended for very short use and limited to around 50mph.

Most people are aware how picky insurance companies are, and if there is anyway they can escape a claim they will. I wasn't meaning to scare anyone, I am just very cautious of insurance companies....a nessesary evil.

cheers

Murchin.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, no offence was intended or taken.

I know what you mean, but realistically 1 centimetre of tyre (and that's all it is), won't cause an accident - I would take a different view if the tyre sizes were being reduced, certainly (as that would adversely affect the car's handling/braking).

From an insurer's perspective, they really would need to argue that the different size would have been obvious/apparent (well, they have the same appearance - so that isn't obvious to the onlooker).
And that the size difference contributed in any way to the claim - again, unless the current owner plans on taking blind bends at 70mph (plus), and if he does, then that's his lookout.

I'm just illustrating that its not a matter of great seriousness - he (presumably) bought it secondhand - therefore should he not have some comeback against the vendor if he either wants to change them (or if the insurers play Columbo)?

Its up to him what he chooses to do - I wouldn't lose any sleep over it (if it were me).

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
As long as the tyres are the same size across the axles(same on the front side to side and on the back side to side),then the car will pass an MOT.It's not illegal,so really the insurance company haven't got any grounds for complaint,although I do know where your coming from.

The standard size would be 175/65R14,so I suspect that someone has put a pair of wider tyres on the front for some reason,probably(as Paul says) to improve grip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts