Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Could someone tell me what the oil capacity of my engine is?

The Haynes manual is pretty confusing, as it refers only to the E7J 1.4 litre engine. My one looks the same but it is a 1.6 (8-valve).

It says 2.9 litres of oil for the E7J 1.4 (including oil filter), but how much should I be putting in my 1.6 version?

I tried searching but couldn't find a thread about this. If there's one then sorry!

Many thanks :)
Nick

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Hi there , I have posted a couple of pics for you to see, if you could let me know which one looks similar to your engine I will try and help. These are Laguna
engines from the same era but they should be pretty much the same
Regards Leroy

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Leroy,

This is a picture of the actual engine:

Except it's a 1.6 litre one!! The Haynes manual doesn't even mention the existence of a 1.6. :)

~Nick

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Hi again Nick, 2.9 litres seems a little low as the old 1.8 (the pic on the left) holds 5.7. Sorry if I can't help more at the moment but I'll get someone else involved tomorrow. I must congratulate you on a nice clean looking engine bay.
Regards Leroy

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
It might be a strange question but why do you need to know? if you are doing an oil change just buy 2x4.5 litre cans and check with the dipstick when filling.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahh thanks. I find it doesn't take much to keep it clean. I use a cleaning solution and throw away tissues to clean all the pipes and plastic... and then some water with baking soda and a kitchen scrubber to clean the metal parts and frame, and then dry all off... I do that twice a year probably. Works well. :)

Hopefully someone will come up with a definitive answer for the oil...

The reason I say 2.9 litres is that the Haynes manual quotes this figure for the E7J engine (but mine being 1.6 instead of 1.4) :confused: :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the bump.

I think I might just go with your suggestion, Leroy... filling and checking the dipstick after the oil has settled.

Could the person who does VIN decoding possibly help me identify my exact engine type? I need to figure out my engine type so I can buy new spark plugs...

First 7 digits: VF1 BB0D

If someone could check, I'd be very appreciative! Thanks :)

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Hi again Nick, I've sent a PM to Webcode with the details and as soon as I hear from him I'll let you know. Regards Leroy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did the change today, and the engine took 3.5 litres to fill to the top notch including circulating through the new filter. :)

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Well done Nick, thanks to getting back to us. I'll still post the details when I get them.
Regards Leroy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts