Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a 1998 clio 3 months ago and think it the oil and filter need changed, my boyfriend has offered to do it, there seems to be a lot of how to websites around giving good instructions but is it straight forward for a novice to do or should i take it to a dealer? if so how much should they charge?

lisa

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi Lisa its a good job for a novice to start with you will need a old container for underneath the sump of the car and then undo the sump plug then the oil will drain into it, make sure it can hold about 4.5L of oil so it does not overflow on you,Once the oil has all drained refit the drain plug then move up to the oil filter and unscrew it anti clockwise it may be tight but it will loosen, be ready for some oil spillage when its coming off as it will still be full of oil.Once you have done this clean off the oil from around the area it came off from then rub a bit of oil round the rubber seal of the new filter and screw on the new filter as hard as you can by hand making sure it is tight.You are know ready to put in your new oil iam not sure who much oil your car takes or what type but put half in to start 3L oil, then check the dipstick to see if you can see the level if not put more oil in a bit at a time until half way between the low and high mark marked on the dipstick.once you have your level run the engine and check the filter and the sump plug that there are no leaks and hay presto job done i hope this helps but make sure you have all tools needed to do the job.

TOOLS

1 socked set

2 filter strap but may not be needed??

3 8mm square socket for the sump plug

4 spanner or ratchet for square socket

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
And do not forget to dispose of the old oil and filter safely, Most local councils have a oil waste disposal service... Think of the environment.

If all else fails take it into a local service centre they can do oil & Filter changes very cheaply nowadays , No mess for you or disposal of used oil/filter or oil stains on road/drive way.

Regards

Ottoman

1 - 3 of 3 Posts