Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Can anyone tell me which is the best oil filter remover to use.
As the pictures show you, I have a chain oilfilter remover and a strap and socket one.
There is not enought room to use the change type and the other type of remover, the strap started to break causing some damage to the oil filter casing which I could not budge.
After changeing the engine oil, gearbox oil , air filter and pollen filter, only to find that I can't remove that blasted oil filter, It would be a pity to
have to go to a garage or renault just to get the oil filter changed.
The third picture is of the oil filter in my clio dieasel. chain.jpg

strapandsocket.jpg

oilfilter.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
I will probably get shot down for this, but in the past, I have pushed a decent sized screwdriver throught the filter and undone it .

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I'd agree, hammer a good thick-shafted screwdriver straight through the can as near to the thread as you can get, it can be a bit messy but it rarely fails. (I'm not gonna say never, just in case, but I've 'reven' known it not to work myself) :) Once it budges it should turn by hand easy enough, as long as it wasn't cross threaded when it went on.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Oil filter removal tool

Hi DnClio, If you are going to be doing your own servicing in the future in may be worth investing in a decent oil filter removing tool and it may cost less than the garage would charge. I have tried using both types you have shown and in all honesty and never had much success. The one I use is similar to your strap type but has a chain instead of a strap. It is most likley you will deform the shell of the filter during removal anyway so work away and take your time. Just remember when fitting the new one only tighten by hand so it's easier to remove next time.:)
Try these links
1/2 Square Drive Or 24mm 130mm Capacity Chain Oil Filter Wrench 77592 Draper 255
Oil Filter Wrench Claw Type 63-103mm Capacity 1/2 & 3/8Sq Drive Sealey AK642

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Just a few quick tips for you;

I would change the oil filter before putting fresh oil in (prevents cross-contamination), plus less chance of a mess as the sump & galleries should be empty(ish).

Put a small amount of fresh oil in the new filter and lightly run some of that oil around the 'o' ring.

Only tighten to hand pressure - don't force it on.

I'm sure you know this already, am just adding it for other readers who may not know.

Paul:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your replies. I will probably try the tools madnoel1o suggests, but i'am very tempted to vent my frustration out on it with a screwdriver, it would be great fun. Still I don't want to end up smashing the oil filter to pieces only to find out i still can't get it off, and then having the problem of getting the car to a garage. Then again the same problem might occur when using a tool.

·
Registered
13 Posts
tool(s) for changing oil filters

Use a tripod (which goes over the top and gets tight in only one direction) with 1/2" square fitting in the middle and a 50cm extension to a torque wrench - it worked for my scenic 1.5 dCi

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Hi DnClio, If you are going to be doing your own servicing in the future in may be worth investing in a decent oil filter removing tool and it may cost less than the garage would charge. I have tried using both types you have shown and in all honesty and never had much success. The one I use is similar to your strap type but has a chain instead of a strap. It is most likley you will deform the shell of the filter during removal anyway so work away and take your time. Just remember when fitting the new one only tighten by hand so it's easier to remove next time.:)
Try these links
1/2 Square Drive Or 24mm 130mm Capacity Chain Oil Filter Wrench 77592 Draper 255
Oil Filter Wrench Claw Type 63-103mm Capacity 1/2 & 3/8Sq Drive Sealey AK642
hmmm i could use a new tool collection :)

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi bpowell555, the type madnoel10 suggests is the best type I've found, but I'd also suggest wrapping the "can" with an old rag, as if you cant get the chain on to the rolled lip of the filter and have to use the chain on the walls of the filter, it may split the walls as it deforms (esp. if its very tight,) spilling oil all over the place while you unscrew it, saves the mess.

Hope it helps :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an old leather belt in my tool box, put it round the oil filter as you would round your waist, buckle on the right, excess in your left hand, pull tight and hey presto you have a very useful strap wrench. Ive used this for the last 12 years and its never been beaten yet.

Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts