Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently bought an 1985 1647cc petrol trafic Campervan. Following a recent 120 mile journey I noticed a trail of water across our drive and after looking under the bonnet noticed that water had leaked out of the top of the expansion chamber. The following day I had a look in the expansion chamber and it is full of slightly tacky creamy liquid.

I mentioned this to our mechanic and he thinks oil has got into the system during previous work on the engine and caused this problem. He has suggested that I pour a cup of washing powder into the system to flush it out before replacing with clean coolant/anti freeze.

This sounds a bit risky to me. Has anyone else heard of/ tried this? Does this sound like a plausible reason for the problem?

much appreciate any help/advice

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Is the camper overheating at all?

Sounds like a gasket problem to me, but then I don't know much. I'm sure someone more experienced will be able to help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the camper overheating at all?

Sounds like a gasket problem to me, but then I don't know much. I'm sure someone more experienced will be able to help.

I have been keeping my eye on the temp gauge and it hasn't gone into the red, although close to it on occasions, however, if the temp gauge is as accurate as the fuel gauge it may well have been overheating.

We've had the van out for three weekends and covered about 200 miles each weekend without noticing any real signs of overheating though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be the sign of a headgasket failure but also if the vans only done short journeys it's possible to get the mayo in the cap from condensation build up. A compression test would give a clearer picture.
I think it is probably more gasket related because its more than just a build up of froth in the cap as all the coolant is creamy coloured. Its still quite watery but has an oily feel to it.

So I think I will need to try a compression test to make sure one way or the other. What do you think about my mechanics washing powder advice to flush the system?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts