Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car in question: Megane II 1.9 dCi 2003

Just wondering what could be the possible causes of oil in the Intercooler (there is quite a lot of it).
And I have to top up oil quite often too (there is also a leak :eek:).

The thing is, turbo on that car was off about 2 month ago and seemed like it was a good turbo (no movement) and the turbo even looked like it was replaced recently (I only got the car 4 month ago).

My question is, is it definitely turbo failure if there is excessive oil in the turbo?

BTW, EGR Valve gets clogged up pretty often and I have to rev the car pretty hard to clean it out (excessive soot from the exhaust when I do it).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What would be the case in the first scenario where oil gets in through crankcase breather plumbing and how can I check if it is the case?

Would there HAVE to be some play in the turbo in order for it to let oil through?

Cheers for all the answers.

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
Check the breather return in the bottom of the unit which has the oil filler on top of it.I had an exact same scenario at work the other day and once the unit is removed you'll probably find that the return to the sump is blocked solid.One other tell-tale is that oil is in the INTAKE to the turbo which wouldn't happen if the turbo was fubar'd.

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
The breather system goes into the plastic box on the front of the engine,any oil dragged through should be seperated and sent back to sump,if the return hole in the bottom of it is blocked then the oil just builds up until it gets sucked into the intake pipe to the turbo.If you remove the unit,clean it thoroughly,and whilst it's off check the sump return.On the one I got involved with the other day it was blocked solid with carbon deposits,I had to push a screw driver right through the return and cleaned it right out,then changed the oil and filter and all has been well since.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm finding it a bit difficult imagining where the box is. I'm sure i'd know where it is if I seen it. Is it easy to get to without pit or ramp? Any chance of a picture if you can find one. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
The oil filler cap is in the top of it,maybe 'box' is a poor word to use.....:eek:.There is a pipe that comes off of it and this connects to the air intake pipe just before the turbo.

Access is easy enough,no need to jack the car up or use a ramp.

·
Registered
22 Posts
sorry to hijack this thread, but having read this, i'm wondering if this is the problem I have. I was trying to sort out the blowing sound from around the airbox, and while i had the airbox apart, i noticed there was oil in the intake pipe, and then further down, where that pipe joins, there's quite a lot of oil.

I also noticed a lot of oil around the throttle valve

The car had a recon turbo fitted last year, but i'm wondering if the intercooler wasn't flushed out. Now i'm also wondering if the breather is blocked which isn't helping!

Again, sorry to hijack, but this seemed like the most sensible place to to post.

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
If there is oil in the intake to the turbo then it's almost certaintly a blocked breather return.If it was the turbo causing the problem the intake pipe before the turbo would be dry,it will only blow oil into the boost side of the system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.