Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
clio mk1. the mechanic said its the head gasket but for that to happen the water needs to drop aswell right and also there should be creamy substance in the engine oil which i cant see. so it cant be the head gasket anyway. the oil was squirting from the dipstick so im assuming the seal has gone...

how do you replace the dipstick seal and how much do they cost and is it very difficult?

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Sounds like the crankcase is pressurising there are a numbe rof causes Go through this check.
1. Is the oil level too high - if so it will tend to throw the dipstick out (just like the bay throwing its dummy out of the pram)
2. Check all the breather pipes on the engine are clear because if it can't breathe properly the crankcase pressure will increase.
It is possible for a head gasket to fail with no loss of water if th egasket has blown between a cylinder and a return oil way.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really hmm ok then....ive got k&n induction kit on aswell and back box . the breather pipes are not connected cos of the induction kit....i have 2 pipes that are not connnected , there ones on the engine bay which is for the exhaust manifold and the other is on the bottom right hand side which im assuming is the breather pipe yes or no ?

if so how do i clean that breather pipe?

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Get rid of the Induction kit

Bah! Induction kits - more bother than they are worth - it ain't doing anything good for your engine at the moment. If it were mine I would take it off and replace it with the original system - connect all pipes together properly and see what happens. All engines need the crankcase to run at a slightly negative pressure. Otherwise the go like nothing and usually fail MOT. The only way to clean breather pipes properly is to remove them and soak the inside with white spirit or something similar. Poke them clean with a piece of stiff wire - if they are split they will need to be replaced.:)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi K13, The breather pipes usually lead from the rocker cover or cylinder block and should'nt be difficult to remove. I appreciate you are new to the mechanical workings of car engines and it's difficult for me to say exactly which pipe is which without being able to see the car itself. Any chance you could post a few pics of the engine bay or maybe take your car to a friendly mechanic who could help you identify thecorrect pipes.:)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Breather pipes

Yeh take them off and make sure they are clear - also check the holes going into the rocker cover as the gunge can lodge in there.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
right well ive cleaned the breather pipes and boy it had mucky yellow creamy oil in it and it was in the indiction kit. so i cleaned it properly with the k&n induction kit cleaner and now the cars performace has increased as it was from the start which is good news.

now the oil is not coming from the dipstick. i dont know what to do now. stupid clios pissing me offf.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
oil coming out of dipstick

Hi k13, from what you say cleaning the pipes seems to have improved the blow-past problem. The colour of gunge you found is similar to what happens when a head gasket is on its way out – so keep a close eye on it for the next few days. I have seen this gunge problem on many small cars fitted with Induction Kits – so it is necessary to change the oil more often. I hope you are not offended by my comment and it’s simply this, when someone fits an induction kit to a bog standard engine they usually go ahead and thrash it – and guess what – yep the engine starts to give problems. If you try to push more power out of an engine that’s it’s designed to do it’s only a matter of time before something will fail. You pays your money and your take your chance. Remember this “if it isn’t broke don’t try to fix it” – but quite a number of young and inexperienced drivers seem to think “I’ll keep fixing it till it’s broke”:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmm its a good thing that i cleaned the air filter and im feeling bit sick after breathing in the spirit and the oil lolz. i will wait and see after 2 days or so to check if there is any oil leaking. anyhow just a curious question what does the air filter do ? :p

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Oil from dipstick

It filters the air going into the engine - prevents all the dirt, dust and moisture from getting to the important working components - without it the engine would wear out very quickly and fail completely. An engine should never be run for long periods without the air filter.:) Once air filters get gunged up it is recommended they be replaced.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
What does the air do

Hope you are not winding me up then. If you burn any fuel it requires a source of oxygen to complete its combustion. (just like a coal fire or gas central heating does). Car engines burn petrol, diesel or LPG - so when the fuel goes in it needs to mix with air. Try thi slink for a full description of the 4-stroke engine.

Howstuffworks "Internal Combustion"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ohhh sorry mate i wasnt taking the mick i just needed to be bit more educated on the engines and stuff. i totally forgot it needed air for the combustion to take place. got pissed last night so im feeling bit behind on the memory. :rolleyes:

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts