Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to work this morning, i noticed the service light came on, also the word oil flashing under the speedomitter. I have cheched the oil its ok but notice the expansion tank was dark, i removed the cap when cool enough, and found a thick oily sludge on the surface of the tank the cap had a white residue like foam. So any ideas as to what it can be please say its not the head gone. All help gratefull thank you.

G

·
Does sound like the head gasket is gone on the oilway side. It's the only way oil is going to get into the coolant.

Try flushing the coolant system, refill and see what happens.

Check your oil level too.

G

·
If the gasket has failed, then the head will need to be removed. It is usually best to skim the head in order to make sure it fits back flush. You can do the job without skimming, but could cause more hassle.

Some heads are ceramic coated and cannot be skimmed, but I wouldn't think that BMWs were.

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

Depending on the model/engine/fuel type it could be the oil cooler causing the problem.If you could post up the relevant details we should be able to help out more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.