Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all since this is my first renault i have been reading the pages here like a novel and i have a couple of questions on my laguna 2001 1.9dci.

WHERE is the egr valve everyone is saying to clean, is it an easy job?

I have noticed when you look down th front of the engine bay at the driver side there is a hose coming off what looks to be a turbo pipe?? near to the front of the radiator around 1 1/2 --- 2 inch it is a pipe that goes round the front and disspears round the back of the passenger side, anyway at the front of this pipe it has like a mesh and mine is very oily but on the outside?? cant see anything dripping on it and there are no drips under the car.
the car is running well. Any Ideas. Thanks

Anyone???????????

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI i know that not much help and prob lots of oily pipes but thought i had described it fantastically, anyway seems to connect to the oil cooler/intercooler whatever it is behind radiator will try get a photo shortly to let you see, seems like mesh stuff just found it to be strange that its oil on the outside!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Exaust Gas Recirculation Valve

I cleaned my EGR valve yesturday. You will find it on the exaust manifold side. It is a large cylinder shape with a plug attached to the end.

Its a very easy process.

1) Unbolt egr valve and unplug from loom
2) Slide out
3) Buy some carb cleaner
4) tape up the plug end to protect
5) start cleaning with an old toothbrush and carb cleaner
6) Replace.:d

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
I have been thinking about having a look at mine.

One thing - afraid of it breaking on removal (as I have read in some posts) and 2. do you have to re seal it when putting back - or is there a gasket you reuse.

I might just take the pipe off to the turbo to see if it looks sooty.

I might of cleared it a bit yesterday (turbo) - someone was a bit close to my rear bumper, I floored it in 2nd and they dissapeared in a cloud of white smoke (my engine had warmed up by the way)

My fuel economy seems prety good at the moment so I am assuming (rightly or wrongly) the EGR is working OK - I wounder if there are any othe signs that would give away a clogged up EGR?

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Just another note:

I wish tis email system had an aotomatic spel check - I know tat is lasy but I usuwally relie on it

·
Registered
6 Posts
No resealing is necessary as it should have a Stainless steel gasket. Just tighten the bolts up and off you go.:d
In my laguna Haynes manual it says if the egr valve is removed a new gasket must be fitted , i went to my local Renault dealer and got 1 for £3.76.
I am servicing my 1.9 dci tommorow the egr valve is the first job my lag is running fine but i believe in preventive maintainance before the cure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thats what Mr Haynes says.
Tried to remove my egr valve today got it moving from side to side but its very tight then the heavens opened so i bottled out didn`t want to snap it .

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
The EGR valve is on the back of the engine on the right hand side right below a long black pipe that runs from the front left (battery side)

I'm guessing most of the time it wont just 'slide out' if its caked up with soot it wont. Whatever you do, do not pull on it it will snap, get a large screwdriver or similar on the flange as it goes in to the head and try and twist it free.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts