Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry if my previous thread seemed to come across as an advert but I did say at the top it wasn't. I did not include any reference to what I was expecting for my car nor did I mention the colour, the bits that have been renewed on it and the bits that might fall off soon! If fact if you review my thread you'll see if anything I was anti-selling it. I stated clearly that i really did not want to sell it privately. All I wished for was advice on whether a main dealer would offer me a better price than one of those private dealers and if anyone could recommend any who seemed to give a fair deal. Please guys just a little advice or some of your experiences. I'm put off ebay by the amount of scammers and time wasters. Really i just want to drive it somewhere let them look at it, give me some cash and walk away. But I don't want to be fleeced. I know roughly what it's both privately and to a dealer. I know I'm not gonna get as much to a dealer but I am prepared to take the hit. I just want to do my best to minimalise it. Please let's not get in to the fine details of my car just help me wave it goodbye with a smile and maybe a tear of sadness as I bid fareful to a friend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The other details were only included to help me get the best possible deal for my car :-
Do I spend £xxx or so getting the car serviced if it's only going to increase the value by £xxx
Do I spend £xxx or so getting the alloys sorted if it's only going to increase the value by £xxx
Do I spend £xxx or so getting the paintwork sorted if it's only going to increase the value by £xxx
That was all.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, and welcome.

A tricky one to answer, since I can't see the car, and what one person sees as a major blemish, somebody else would live with quite happily.

If you just want the car off your hands (quickly), and to have a clear conscience regarding probing questions - I'd be inclined to auction it (at a proper car auction house).

If you take a car to a dealer (or around many dealers), unless he has a customer already for your car - he won't make a high offer. You'll have wasted your time (and fuel) and gotten nowhere as a result.

Selling privately has its own probs - people not turning up, calls at all hours (not easy when you work shifts), test pilots & timewasters, telesales, etc.

At least at an auction, you may get a few dealers (and a private buyer or two) bidding against each other - you probably won't get less than a dealer would offer (you may get more), and you've saved a lot of effort.

Regarding tidying the car up - have you considered doing the work yourself? I have written articles in the "How to" section of the forum, and if you are relatively handy, you can do a fair bit to improve the car's appearance for not much dough (certainly less than a classified ad).

Hope some of this helps - p.s. if you are auctioning it - don't waste money servicing it - a dealer will do it anyway, and a private punter won't bid any more for it.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
I'm sorry if my previous thread seemed to come across as an advert .
I may of been a little hasty in my decision but we have so many such posts just to sell the car and not to join in the forums.
I hope you understand my descision and accept my appologies if it was in error.

VelSatisfied has given some sound advice and in your shoes I would tend to agree with his thoughts on this.

However a private sale may bring in more cash for your car.

the choice is yours I'm afraid.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi in my experience trying to sell your car to garage dealer you will indeed come of the worst as in money terms but you will have them said bye bye to the car i would be inclined to sell it privately through Auto Trader but as Velsatisfied has already said a Car Auction would probely be quicker and make sure if you do this to put a reserve on it that you are happy with and remember when it sells there will be a Auction fee to come off of the selling price that it makes at the nights Auction, i hope this helps you a little all the best Donald.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks VelSatisfied for the auction idea, one I had not thought of. I've got a place just a couple of miles from me that I'll research. As for private sale I really don't have it in me to dodge any questions that may arise. No the car is not a ringer or been involved in an accident but it has suffered the last six months with all sorts of electrical gremlins. It's a shame it's a lovely motor and engine/gearbox are almost as new, well to me they feel that way. No rattles or clunking inside or out. But the front alloys do need replacing I know this. But I don't think that doing this would be beneficial in upping the price compared to the outlay. The scratches on the paintwork are just scrathes this I can do. I shall have a look at your "how to's" and get something done. So many thanks to you for that bit.
Thanks to bonedavid no appologies needed maybe I should've made myself a little more clearer in the first place. Afterall you are a moderator and do need to keep the place in order. Actully looking back at my first posting leading with the This is not an advert but..... is enough to get any alarm bells ringing. It's nice to see a moderator actually admit to a little haste but on some forums I would've been banned and so would the rest of my family, friends, pets, etc ,etc But hey you're alarms bell are working fine there, sorry I provoked them.
And lastly Donald you saved me from asking stupid questions about reserves at auctions by answering before I did. Yes in an ideal world Autotrader would've been the place but alas time is my enemy on this one plus I'm no salesman. Thanks guys you're a good bunch.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Not a problem, you're very welcome.

Another plus regarding the auction idea, is that you don't have any test drives whereby warning messages/lights would flash, and 'bongs' would sound. They are buying at their own risk (as long as you're not misrepresenting the car), so in that respect it is a bit more sanitised as you don't have to even be there, far less meet them.

Hope it all goes well for you, whatever action you decide.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Not a problem, you're very welcome.

Another plus regarding the auction idea, is that you don't have any test drives whereby warning messages/lights would flash, and 'bongs' would sound. They are buying at their own risk (as long as you're not misrepresenting the car), so in that respect it is a bit more sanitised as you don't have to even be there, far less meet them.

Hope it all goes well for you, whatever action you decide.

regarding car auctions.
if you buy a car at the big auction sites such as (bca)you get 1hour to check also test drive on the site.
iv'e bought a few.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok guys just a little update for ya, I've had the final bit of warranty work done on my car and am now pushing forward with the sale, I will try a couple of the actions suggested by members on here seeing as everything is sorted in a shorter period than expected. I did tidy up the body thanks to advice I read on here. But it's not prefect just alot better than it was. I had a quick chat with a salesman at the dealer who was sorting out the warranty stuff and he wasn't instrested in a car with such a high mileage! So fingers crossed, if not, it goes to auction. Thanks again guys to you all. And I shall watch out for this Scenic chappy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts