Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I bought a renault scenic 1.5 dci 2010 a few days ago, and I've had the warning pop up on the dash saying low oil level, I've no idea what type of oil the previous owner put in there but I've bought some high quality 5w30 today which was recommended by my local car shop which is made for renaults. Can't remember the name as I've left it in the car but was just wondering if it'll be okay for me to top it up even if the previous owner used a different oil to this

Cheers

Max

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
5,158 Posts
Hmmm.......5W30 seems light for the diesel. Get hold of an owners manual and pay attention to the ACEA grade. If you have a DPF you may need a C3.
As you have no idea what is in there it might be best to plan an oil change. At least you know you have good stuff in there as opposed to some unknown soup.
In a forced situation pretty much any modern oil is okay for topping up if the car is below minimum and your choice is restricted

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
2,174 Posts
You're probably adding less than 10%, but why not schedule an oil change? You can specify 5W30 if you don't do it yourself and keep what you have for topups (if it's correct- I've just seen Brendan's post)
Of more concern is the fact that the engine is using oil so keep an eye on how much. Our oil level hasn't dropped in 35000 miles (yes, we have changed it a few times!)

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
42,270 Posts
Hi guys I bought a renault scenic 1.5 dci 2010 a few days ago, and I've had the warning pop up on the dash saying low oil level, I've no idea what type of oil the previous owner put in there but I've bought some high quality 5w30 today which was recommended by my local car shop which is made for renaults. Can't remember the name as I've left it in the car but was just wondering if it'll be okay for me to top it up even if the previous owner used a different oil to this

Cheers

Max
ANY OIL IS better than no oil, Even with a DPF fitted, if you are low and you cannot get any that should be used, then put it in.
Better to have an engine with some lubrication, than an engine seized ..

A DPF oil produces low ash, and is one of those oils, that if you do around town driving must be used
If you were travelling back on a long journey, and the only oil you can get is normal engine oil then put this in
But again, ANY OIL is better than No oil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts