and it does what I want, but it will mean a massive
loss in fuel duty, it will be difficult to stop people just
plugging a lecky car in at home and one reason why they
seem hell bent on pushing road charging no matter how
unpopular.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,257 Posts
Governments and Industry have always got to have targets ..... but whether those targets are reachable ..... or deferred is another matter :nerd:

I heard on the radio a few days ago the Power industry is now getting in a panic about how it will cope with such a very high number of vehicles having batteries recharged at the same time. :surprise:

Looks like we'll be needing more nuclear power stations ..... and then in a few decades time the anti-nuclear lobby will win over and future generations will be back to square one. :grin2:

·
7,771 Posts
They all have a agenda just a matter of figuring out what it actually is.

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
Looks like we'll be needing more nuclear power stations ..... and then in a few decades time the anti-nuclear lobby will win over and future generations will be back to square one. :grin2:
Not necessarily, I still hope that nuclear fusion (no radioactive waste /byproducts) will solve the problem of cheap electricity.

·
Tartan terrorist in a dress..
22,708 Posts
Does that mean the government will ban and call for an end of F1, Rally of Great Britain, BTTC and the rest of the combustion engined sports as we know it ????

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
23,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does that mean the government will ban and call for an end of F1, Rally of Great Britain, BTTC and the rest of the combustion engined sports as we know it ????
Very much doubt it and in any rate if they got rid of F1 they would still have formula E..by gum..:grin2:

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,482 Posts
heard as driving home, government will have to work out how to recoup the lost revenue from this switch. but no need to worry about it for the next 10 or so years...
Looks like its going to be an expensive mistake, for all concerned..
Wonder how the Green Party are going to feel, when everything goes up 10 to 20 percent, how are we going to move freight.....
Will the government be able to just penalise the normal motorist, and not HGV's... As find this hard to see how it will stand up in a court of law.
Will our small nation make such a vast difference, in the whole scheme of things...
Germans must be rubbing their hands together, .
Suckers is what comes to mind here.
Make the parts in Germany, get them assembled in Britain.. Strange how all these manufacturers are turning to battery power, after all these years of forcing petrol and diesel cars down our throat...
Will be no one allowed to do home repairs... So again, the motorist gets hammered
Who is going to teach the mechanics on how to repair them, .. Electric motor. Cannot touch, it will be covered by a certificate, So this labour bill will have to be covered by customers, (same as aircon now), but the rest of the vehicle, Running gear will a mechanic thats 20 years in the trade, be allowed to carry on, or need more training, again, more charges for the customer,,,

As with all governments, it stinks of corruption,, The poor motorist will get hit.
The cars will have to have some sort of taxation, as the coffers will shrink too much...
Its only 23 years away, might seem a long time, but for someone just born, by time they are driving, then get to 24, and want a new car, unless very affluent , not a chance....
I will be too old to care, if still on this earth, as will most who are in their late 50' s,, .
Feel some brainwashing is going to be needed here, and a lot of people will fall for it..

Rant over, :wink2:
From a then to be retired Motor Mechanic (allegedly:grin2:)

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
Somethings even a Brexit can't change.
Salut M. Macron. Have you seen our new announcement? It's every bit as good as yours but the years are in Imperial measure, so there.

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
23,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its at the consultation stage at the moment and we all know that when there is a change of power from one party to another things can change drastically..freight can be moved by rail and the bulk of it should have been done this way years ago..

Motorist getting hit..tell me when its been any different..or am I living on the wrong planet..

Leccy BMW mini not the only car from a foreign company being built in the UK or have Honda Nissan and Toyota left our shores..:confused: and of course things could change here when we leave the EU if they still want to build their cars here..>:)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Road vehicles only contribute 11% towards air pollution - gas central heating and wood burning stoves each contribute a higher percentage. One expert has calculated that it will require at least 6 extra power generating plants to supply the leccy to recharge vehicles.

Like it or not if we humans continue and intend to increase our energy use we will have to pay for it one way or the other.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
A lot of us grew up when the car was a luxury for the better off families on the street. By and large we went to and from work, school and the shops as generations had before.
As cars became relatively cheaper we all got them and the way we work, school and shop has changed, some would say to the detriment of community with a rose tinted look to the past and the High Streets of yore.
Point is if anything hurts our mobility it will hurt the economy as we know it. Can you imagine IKEA with the cars missing or reduced in number or size ?
There will be power stations from Taunton to Exeter for the bank holiday rush. Oh wait maybe that's not a caravan, it's the spare battery.

·
7,771 Posts
Just short of 29 billion they took in fuel tax last year according to the
news, wounder if I can keep my little Clio oiler going till the axe falls.
at present rate it will have about 370,000 on the clock sounds like a
challenge to me.

·
9,257 Posts
Can you imagine IKEA with the cars missing or reduced in number or size ? .
Yes because Amazon et al will be using drones :nerd: Just hope they don't drop that table on our heads :surprise: There'll be a mandatory requirement for the public to wear safety helmets in case of falling objects and the skies will be full of drones buzzing about like a plague of locusts with our on-line orders :smile2:. The future is changing

1 - 20 of 38 Posts