Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey you lovely lot!

Now, I've one final question in my quest to get my Megane running as smoothly as possible. You've helped me out thus far, so let's see if you can help me out on this.

There's an annoying ticking sound coming from my engine - it's roughly on the drivers side and at the rear of the engine (you'll see in the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STQXKgxSQRc

Any ideas?

Once again, thanks guys!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Errrm...nope!

*thickie moment* which is the auxiliary belt and what would it mean if the sound goes?

Got it - it's the belt round the alternator and the rest of the pulleys! I haven't taken this off, but the previous owner DID get a new alternator put on...the belt is "giving" around the right amount though, plus the sound is from slightly higher up..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One other odd thing: the ticking is sometimes very quiet; and other times can be louder (though not ear splitting loud)

It also seems to speed up when gas is applied...

·
Premium Member
12,945 Posts
You can try running with belt off but....
Sounds like hydraulic cam followers/tappets.
Is there any oil in engine?
An oil and filter change may be worth a try.
If it has old/contaminated/thin oil in it, they may not be getting enough pressure in them.
Could even be a low oil pressure problem.
Cam followers are one of the last items on engine to be fed with oil so if it's low they will suffer.
Pray it doesn't need new ones!:eek:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm, I shall try that. There's plenty of oil in it (it had a new engine and all of the fluid were changed about 6 months ago)

I might just try a different grade/brand as i don;t know what was used (it was before I got the car.)

·
Premium Member
12,945 Posts
Before doing any major work, also check the bolts/nuts holding exhaust manifold to cylinder head.
Check that the gasket has been fitted properly and not been misaligned.
Was this actually a 'new' engine?
or a
' Yes sir, the engine we fitted had only done 10,000 miles and was driven by a vicars grandma. She only had the air filter cone on so she could hear the engine as she was a bit deaf and kept stalling it ' sort of engine?
;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will do - it does sound like something is rattling and vibrating - though I will treat it to an oil change in the near future.

The engine was a 38k unit I believe. The timing belt snapped on the old one (I also have a couple of boxes of spares from the old engine - including manifolds and the crankshaft and the coils etc!) Not sure if it was driven by a vicars grandma, but I do know it was sat for a while.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm..ok. Here's the next thrilling installment:

The vibrating/tickinh/rattling is still there. I'm almost sold now that something may be loose as the noise goes away when the engine is revving at a certain frequency - the noise kind of fades out then in again.

It's driving me insane! The car drives fine apart from this - no misfires of anything. Just this damn sound! When I. stopped by a wall, I can hear whar is almost a metallic rattling echoing...

Arrrgh! :crazy::crazy::crazy:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I've been to 2 indy's to get opinions and they both say that the sound is coming from the timing belt casing - something I did NOT wish for...but anyway, it's booked in to get the belt and water pump changed while it's being sorted - all in all £250 which isn't that bad to be honest!

No way NEAR as bad as when I broke the news to my other half...it's a wonder I still have my legs to be able to drive...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts