Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all just a quick question to get my mind at rest, the other night I had to open my clios bonnet whilst it was lightly raining, and had it open for approx 5 minutes in the rain, Will this have potentially damaged my engine? Or should it be ok? I drove the car after with no problems but was just wondering if I may have consigned it to some long term damage?

Im hoping that since I drove the car straight after that maybe any water in the engine may have been dried up before It would have had a change to do any damage? it was an approx 45 min long drive.

Could there be rust or electric problems in the future? what dya think? Are engines fairly tough anyway and designed to be fairly water resistant to a certain degree anyway?

What dya think? Thanks, Ed :crazy:

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Yep, they're fairly well waterproofed as it stands. Driving in the rain, you'll get water spraying up from the underneath and coming in through the grilles. The worst you're likely to get is a few electrical niggles until things have dried out. Even that's unlikely.

Getting large quantities of water actually inside the engine is the only thing that's likely to cause damage. Rainwater won't do this - it would take a solid wave of water directed at the air intake. This can happen on some cars if you drive through deep water.

The problem is known as 'hydraulic lock' and it occurs when the pistons try to compress water as they would normally compress air and fuel vapour. The whole thing is turning at several thousand times a minute, and suddenly it's forced to stop. Something's got to give, and the results are generally nasty.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Cheers for the replies guys, put my mind at rest a bit more :)
In which direction does your bonnet open? Have you made sure it is shut properly if it lifts from the front towards the back?

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Erm yeah it does, whats that got to do with it? :p But yeah ta it is shut properly thanks :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Erm yeah it does, whats that got to do with it? :p But yeah ta it is shut properly thanks :eek:
Just a gentle reminder in our effort to avoid our dear members from becoming statistics.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts