·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,733 Posts
It was the fees of being a sponsor ,, they added it to the oils:grin2:

·
Super Moderator
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spoke to Tim at Opie Oils this morning & he confirmed that the fees he was being charged to be a sponsor wasn't weighing up to the orders he was receiving from our members, he was getting loads of enquiries but not following up with an order.

·
Super Moderator
8,480 Posts
Unfortunately has already said by time postage etc was added it worked out too expensive compared to other motor shops GSF etc

·
Super Moderator
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its bl00dy expensive being a sponsor,
I sponsor my local pub, its not cheap:grin2:
That's what Tim said, he was being charged about £1000 a year for the privilege but, while he is a sponsor on other Forums, he just found that the Renault one wasn't bringing in the spondoolies to make it worthwhile.
I can see why, the response of 2 members on this thread have spelt out that you can get it elsewhere cheaper when not having to pay the postage charged by Opie oils.
Oilman (Opie Oils) is still a valued member on Renault Forums & he has nothing against all of it's members.
I phoned Opie Oils up yesterday purely to ask about a particular oil for my Classic car, i merely threw in the sponsor question.
Yes, i can probably get an oil which is equivalent to the one from Opie Oils, but, look at the bigger picture here, if you don't ask you don't get, I didn't even ask Tim for a discount - he offered:smile2: like i say, he has nothing against the members.
I found that Opie Oils are selling their products on ebay & the postage is FREE, i'm in Cornwall next week, i might just drop in & save them the bother of wrapping it up. :smile2:
Thank you Tim @ Opie Oils for your help.

PS - I used to sponsor a local football team, new strip every season or so & £500 a year, not one job came out of that in 3 years.
It pays to advertise - er....no it doesn't
It pays to notice the advert :|

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi

Based on the comments about price, that was one of the things that we seemed to be offering different oils to what were wanted. There were a few threads where someone asked 'What is the best oil for my car?', only for there to be 5 replies of 'so and so are doing 5L of oil for £12'. 5L of oil for £12 is not the best, it's not even mid-range. If you wanted the best, you want a top quality oil, probably £40+ for 5L. We try to offer better oils than the bog standard stuff as there is no point in buying budget oils online and then paying for postage.

I can't remember exactly what we were expected to pay to stay on this forum, but it was too much to justify when we are selling to a different market.

You can still buy from us and I think the forum discount code still works, or we do have the eBay shop.

Cheers

Tim

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
/... /
There were a few threads where someone asked 'What is the best oil for my car?', only for there to be 5 replies of 'so and so are doing 5L of oil for £12'. 5L of oil for £12 is not the best, it's not even mid-range. If you wanted the best, you want a top quality oil, probably £40+ for 5L.

/... /
That's typical to majority of car users, make- and country-independent.

·
Administrator
13,044 Posts
Hi

Based on the comments about price, that was one of the things that we seemed to be offering different oils to what were wanted. There were a few threads where someone asked 'What is the best oil for my car?', only for there to be 5 replies of 'so and so are doing 5L of oil for £12'. 5L of oil for £12 is not the best, it's not even mid-range. If you wanted the best, you want a top quality oil, probably £40+ for 5L. We try to offer better oils than the bog standard stuff as there is no point in buying budget oils online and then paying for postage.

I can't remember exactly what we were expected to pay to stay on this forum, but it was too much to justify when we are selling to a different market.

You can still buy from us and I think the forum discount code still works, or we do have the eBay shop.

Cheers

Tim
Hi Tim,
Thanks for letting us know! :smile2:. I hope no body here would tell you to invest in something that you are not making the return on. Thank you for sponsoring the place for as long as you did and providing forum stickers for us too. :grin2:

I hope you stay and join in with the forum whenever you want/can. 0:)

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,165 Posts
. We try to offer better oils than the bog standard stuff as there is no point in buying budget oils online and then paying for postage.
I think one of the issues on price is "why spend £xx pounds more on a quality oil when I'm only keeping the car for perhaps three years. Although a quality oil prolongs the lifespan of components once a car is traded on who worries about the wear and tear future owners will face.

In 38 years of motoring I've used quality and budget oils, and on reflection with my typical useage at 5000 miles per annum my cars have lasted just as well on budget oils with no adverse effects. My Astra I've owned for 17 years and has 149000 on the clock and is mechanically excellent.

But Tim, a big Thank You for all the advice and information you've given to the forum over the years and also for making up those Forum stickers. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
Don't want this thread to turn into oil crusade, just my 2p:
Older naturally aspirated engines are made to different design & often of different materials than modern, especially small turbocharged ones. The latter have to comply to strict emission norms, hence the need to use oils that can cope in harsher conditions. All the while carmakes advertise higher & higher oil change intervals, 'long life' as they call it - which is a lie, because if anything they tend to shorten engine's lifespan. What they don't say is that no widely available oil is capable of withstanding 9000 miles while maintaining its qualities. Lubricating, cleaning, proper viscosity class - all those qualities begin to deteriorate as soon as 4.5 - 5 thousand miles (or even sooner, depending on many factors, esp. city driving conditions), the higher the mileage the quicker they deteriorate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts