Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered before,but all the threads seem to be a couple of years old.
I have been offered a '08 Laguna 3 2.0 150 BHP with 155K on the clock at a fairly reasonable price,remember this is Ireland.
So as of November '17 what are the known problems and the good bits.What to check out and look out for.
You would think I would have my fill of Renaults after the problems I have had with the money pit of a '06 Clio 1.5 dci.:frown2:
All opinions appreciated.

·
Tartan terrorist in a dress..
22,708 Posts
All depends on service history and if chain has been done ...M9r engine is bullet proof if looked after ..Laguna 3 is a reliable car if serviced and maintained well usual issues check every switch works are carpets dry pour water down windscreen see if it flows freely out at the inner wheel arch ..final thing is ..is the price right?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the rapid response.
Here in Ireland,asking 2.2k yo yos',negotiable. It's the cheap road tax,E570 against the E675 on my old 1.9TDI '02 Octavia.
Floor is dry,took it for a spin yesterday,everything is tight,though I thought the steering light,engine dry and not got a power washed look.Electrics worked,well windows,wipers,lights and indicators are ok.Will check the windscreen water flow tomorrow or Monday.Will also inquire about chain.What would the intervals be for chain?
Started from cold in front of me,he wasn't expecting me to call.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,040 Posts
doesn't sound at all bad.
Chain should be around 100K IIRC..... They do wear so yours on borrowed time.
Can you check NCT history ?
Useful over here to be able to see past MOTs and any advisories or fails.... and mileage consistency.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure about checking NCT history,will need to consult the gospel according to google.
Might throw a chain on just to be to be sure.100 euro for a chain,I'll have to give the North a bell and see what they're like in there.
I have done timing belts before,but this is getting out of my comfort zone,is it a big job? Easier or harder than belt on Octavia ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been trawling the www. Changing timing chain ranging from 3-4hours to 8+ hours,:surprise: Do I need to lift the engine out or something:frown2: ?
When I put the reg into micksgarage.com it says Laguna 111 1995cc. 131BHP.Which is different to the 150BHP he told me,I'll need to investigate further.micksgarage.com have been wrong in the past.
Is this 131hp a 3-4 or the 8+ job? As I see it took almost nine to do Nottdoc's Traffic.Though there are extras on there that wouldn't need doing on this one.
The tools,I can either make or borrow for the 4-8 hour job,but if it runs to the 8+,I think I'll out source.
Though my ever patient wife loves its comfort,which is the priority,I raised the funds,but I'm starting to second guess myself now and have second thoughts.:|

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,040 Posts
I don't know how involved the job is so cannot comment in detail.
But I do know that Nottie is not one of the faint hearted when it comes to getting the spanners out.
And not happy to open his wallet.
So that he paid someone else speaks volumes to me.

Check you have all information and knowledge before embarking on it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That'll do me.I have bother enough keeping a couple of auld Seagulls, and the Clio running.Time to let someone else get their hands dirty on my car,well she ain't mine yet.
Thanks all who contributed.Will pay my money and check it's kosher,then pay professional,not that that guarantees anything.As a guy I know says"A professional gets paid for his work,doesn't mean he's good at it" So here's hoping.As bad as it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looked at that site,I wonder what the cost would be to get a mechanic to the hills of Donegal:laugh: There's three independents within a ten mile radius,so hopefully the one I pick will do a good job.My go to guy,who I used to work with, quit the work and went to work for a breakdown recovery crowd.I know,I know,it's "whom" before some grammar geek corrects me.:grin2:Oh and ten miles is a short jaunt,when the nearest pub is two miles.....downhill,four back up after closing.:grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well a belated Merry Christmas and an early Happy New Year to all.
I bought the dammed Laguna :wink2:.I traded economy for comfort,yep I got everything that could go wrong with an '06 Clio 1.5 DCI,go wrong,fixed.Oh the horn give up,but, hey,who needs a horn?
Back to the Laguna.Timing chain and aux belt changed today.I have no idea where they get their 8+ hours for the job.
Timing chain kit and fan belt kit changed.I did have my brother-in-law who as just done the same on a Hyundai Sorento that threw the chain
09.30hrs start and drove out of my garage at 17.00hrs.I'm blessed with a 47' x 18' garage of my own,for my boat engines :grin2:.
Two x half hour tea breaks and an hour and a half to go get the right fanbelt,the one that came in the kit was too long,plus the twenty minutes it took to figure out how to route the damm thing.IMHO far easier than doing the timing belt on the Octavia.
Thank you to all who have responded to my queries,this forum is an invaluable asset to anyone who chances their arm at their own mechanical work,cheers:beer:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts