Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a lovely looking 2008 scenic 1.5 dci dynamic at a nearby garage, it has fully itemised service history including 6 renault stamps in the book I am told. I have not seen it or driven it yet, I got the info from their website.
Now it's only 4 years old or there abouts but it has done 152000 miles so obviously way above average for it's age. If it were a 1.9 dci I would be a little less concerned but what are the 1.5 engines like for high miles? Can they do 200k plus like bigger engines or are my concerns valid? It is up for £2750 so is cheaper than one with average mileage.
What are your views, especially those of you who have a car with the same engine in?

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Diesels and high miles go together like bread and butter :)

I would be more concerned with low miles on the 1.5 a high mileage engine is less likely to suffer the problems some seem to get and will no doubt have had some parts replaced already

We have 56 reg taxis with 400k miles on them and all still have the original engine bar 1 that dropped a valve and destroyed itself ok they are peugeots but hey all french is crap :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Diesels and high miles go together like bread and butter :)

I would be more concerned with low miles on the 1.5 a high mileage engine is less likely to suffer the problems some seem to get and will no doubt have had some parts replaced already

We have 56 reg taxis with 400k miles on them and all still have the original engine bar 1 that dropped a valve and destroyed itself ok they are peugeots but hey all french is crap :)
:) Thanks. I know many diesel engines are good for high miles but never had anything below 1.9 before so a wee bit cautious hence the questions. The fact it has good history may persuade me to go take a look.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I would be looking for signs of 'abuse' rather than 'wear & tear'.

If the car has spent its life on motorways & dual carriageways, then it is much less likely to have been given a thorough working over, compared with in-town driving.

Was it a taxi/airport transport vehicle? (I'd check the V5) - not a 'bad thing' as such, but looking at wear on all the seatbelts will give an indication as to how many miles were covered solo (or with a car full).

2 good things about buying a car like this;

1/ you know it has been reliable
2/ it's unlikely to have been clocked

If your annual mileage is likely to be lower than average, I would go for it without hesitation, as the depreciation will even itself out in your favour. However, if you are likely to be doing a high annual mileage yourself, then the depreciation will be quite sharp when you come to trade it in.

As long as the car is straight, the condition appropriate for the age (rather than the mileage), the paperwork is in order and you get a full mot & decent warranty - then it sounds pretty good.

Try to negotiate a service into the deal, if they won't do a discount - car should be on it's 3rd cambelt - ensure it's been changed (along with the water pump).

HTH,

Paul

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Paul, some really good points you made there. :) I think I will go and see it. It looks nice and clean on the pics and the seats look good also but I get what you say about the seatbelts etc... I am hoping it's motorway miles that been racked up on it, I will be looking for further deals for sure. Thanks, these two replies have helped me decide it's worth a good look over anyway.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,785 Posts
Make sure it starts first time and all the warning lights go out and say out, no blue smoke or turbo whine no knocks or rattles from the suspension, get a MOT as part of the deal. If it matters to you does the air con work check the expansion bottle for anything that looks like oil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Yes I will update this thread either way. I will try to see it Friday or the weekend and bear in mind all what you say, I hope it is a good car as I like the look of it. Oh and to reply about my annual mileage, probably no more that 5 or 6k tops I'd say.

Here's what the advert says:

Full Description:
BLUE, 152000 Miles, ONE OWNER RENAULT SCENIC IN SAPPHIRE METALLIC BLUE COMPLIMENTED WITH CONTRASTING BLACK AND GREY INTERIOR. A ONE OWNER VEHICLE WITH A FULLY ITEMISED SERVICE HISTORY (6 RENAULT SERVICE STAMPS) CURRENT MOT TILL 22 05 13. ALSO WITH 2 CARD KEYS, Central Locking, Electric Windows, Electric Mirrors, Climate Control, Power Steering, Drivers Airbag, Passenger Airbag, Alloy Wheels, Alarm and Immobiliser.

One photo added here also.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
I thought 1.5 dci service interval is every 12000 in which case it should have more than 6 stamps considering the mileage on the car. Have a good look at the service book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought 1.5 dci service interval is every 12000 in which case it should have more than 6 stamps considering the mileage on the car. Have a good look at the service book.

Yes I agree, should have 12 ideally but since they say fully itemised there may be other stamps etc... but not from a Renault main dealer. I will be checking it all in depth.
The dealers who have it for sale are independant and have lots of prestige and classic cars so it looks like they don't sell any old crap... :eek:

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
It could be 6 renault stamps and the remainder independent garages.

Well-spotted though.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Also you wan drive the car for good 20 minutes. If its a k9k engine , have a good listen to the dreaded delphi ejection pump. Make sure it does not rattle and grind. make noise like some 1 shaking a bag of nails under the bonnet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well thanks for all the replies. I was going to see it with a positive attitude but was too late after all that as it was sold!
Not to worry, there will be others.
Cheers everyone. :)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Better luck next time.

Who knows, maybe the purchaser will join the forum, and you can read all about their experiences (either proving you were right, or would've made a massive blunder).

Plenty more fish in the sea.

Thanks for the update,

Paul

1 - 15 of 15 Posts