Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how many hours on the bay my Laguna II Tourer should have taken to fit new front springs and shocks, track control arms, inner and outer tie rods, and the drop links?

The dealer I work for had my car in on a Thursday morning but being staff on a discounted rate of £30 p/h + VAT as soon as another job comes in, my car gets left until later, and I didn't get it back until the following Monday, and the tracking hadn't been done. Didn't get the tracking done until the following Wednesday.

They finally hit me with the bill today which was £216 which works out at 6 hours labour plus the VAT. To be honest I didn't expect this work to take 6 hours.

Anyone care to differ?

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
How long did they say it should take when you arranged the job, and what explanation did they give for the difference?

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But 3 hours each side? Once the subframe is dropped it really (to my mind) shouldn't take long to change the steering links, and dropping the strut out to change the spring and shocks which I've seen done before by a mate on another car of mine a while back, and it took about half an hour to change the springs and shocks.

I assumed a couple of hours each side would be about right. I can't imagine it taking any longer than a few minutes for each of the steering parts going back on. It's just nuts and bolts after all.

My thoughts that @ £30 p/h I was on par with or cheaper than a local indie garage, but think the couple of wee garages I usually use would have done the work quicker.

Swings and roundabouts?

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
Since you work there, I wouldn't rock the boat too hard.

Just view it as a life-lesson, that you won't be quick to forget.

Paul

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since you work there, I wouldn't rock the boat too hard.

Just view it as a life-lesson, that you won't be quick to forget.

Paul
That's exactly it in a nut shell though, and exactly the reason I'm having a mini rant about it here, and not at work. :d

The other thing was, the reason I chose to get the work to do that lot on the front end was that I wanted my car for the weekend, and my usuals were busy, so put it in on the Thursday. Little did I know they'd have it on the ramp all weekend.

On the up-side, what a nice smooth ride now with no tramping or heavy swinging going round corners, and without the steering wheel dancing along to the radio tunes. :d:d

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
That's exactly it in a nut shell though, and exactly the reason I'm having a mini rant about it here, and not at work. :d
Oh, that's no problem - I was a bit concerned if someone said you paid more than you should've, then you'd maybe burn some bridges at work.

In the workplace it's much easier to talk yourself out of the door, than back in.

Personally, I think it was a bit steep.

Paul

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, that's no problem - I was a bit concerned if someone said you paid more than you should've, then you'd maybe burn some bridges at work.

In the workplace it's much easier to talk yourself out of the door, than back in.

Personally, I think it was a bit steep.

Paul
Aye, I get your drift. You could just imagine some hot headed nutcase steaming right in on Monday morning shouting his odds about being ripped off by his work colleagues. Then you log on at night only to learn that he lost his job. :devil::d

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
To be honest I wouldn't say that is too far off,plus they only charged you 'mates rates' so they have to add on a bit to make a profit...;).After all,it's all about making money rather than looking after staff as staff are expendable,especially in times like these......

Just think of the poor customer that would have been charged £70+ an hour for the same job.:eek:

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To be honest I wouldn't say that is too far off,plus they only charged you 'mates rates' so they have to add on a bit to make a profit...;).After all,it's all about making money rather than looking after staff as staff are expendable,especially in times like these......

Just think of the poor customer that would have been charged £70+ an hour for the same job.:eek:
That's another way of looking at it. :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts