Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
got a problem with my scenic 2001 1.8 16v dynamic
its very lumpy when driving we cold its only getting 22 to a gallon round town (usally get around 30 to 35 mpg on the same run) when warm its lacking in power and can be very sluggish removed the plugs yesterday to find thay were black all coked up since cleaning them up its running a bit better can any one help the motors only done 50k :crazy:

this problem has gradually got worse over the last few months the air filter being used is a KN panel filter whitch was fitted around 8 months ago and cleaned last month
back in august last year i was getting 48 to a gallon coming back from torquay fully loaded and all ways got 30 to 35 round town

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum.:)

The first thing I'd do is have a quick emissions check done at a local garage.If there are any problems with the Lambda sensor(which it sounds like there could be),then this will instantly show up.

If the emissions seem OK,then you have to look at the coolant temperature sensor for the ECU or even the air flow meter.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Overfueled

Sooted up plugs is a sign of the fuel mixture being too rich - there are 2 main causes for this - either too much fuel or not enough air. Has it happened suddenly or has it become gradually worse. Gradual means the air filter could be blocked - you could try removing it temporarily and taking it for a short run and if it helps I would suggest renewing it - this would cost very little money (£10 max) Otherwise it could be a dirty or faulty lambda sensor - which can only be repaired or cleaned by removal. Let me know what happens. Good Luck! Try the easy cheap option first - thats my motto!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this problem has gradually got worse over the last few months the air filter being used is a KN panel filter whitch was fitted around 8 months ago and cleaned last month
back in august last year i was getting 48 to a gallon coming back from torquay fully loaded and all ways got 30 to 35 round town

1 - 4 of 4 Posts