Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

My sister has an old shape Twingo which has a "Cleon" engine which from what I can see, was only put in Twingos and Renault Extra vans of the same period (C063).

For the last 6 months it has been leaving a soot patch on the drive when starting and has got increasingly hard to start and thirsty. We're under the impression that the difficulty starting and soot is a result of the overfuelling. Once the car warms up it doesnt seem too bad (apart from being incredibly thirsty).

Ive been experimenting by disconnecting things to see if there is any difference and I found that it runs a lot better with the MAP sensor totally disconnected. I'm going to leave it a few days and try to start it just incase it was a fluke but would a dodgy MAP sensor cause over-fuelling? I also noticed that its a GM part......? Seems a bit odd. I checked along the vac hose and it seems to be in good condition but if this is a possibility then i may change the hose with the sensor.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply.

I disconnected the electrical connector.

I have taken the pipe off to check it and it all looks fine. Would it be worth trying with the pipe off and connector on?

I was assuming it was a faulty MAP sensor but it could just be doing its job and perhaps there is an actual issue with manifold pressure?

One thing i know is that it started fine today without it connected up (electrical connector), then I reconnected it and started it again and it ran lumpy straight away, then after disconnecting it again, it had trouble starting and coughed out soot, but then ran fine. Asthough it had overfuelled with the sensor connected and then it had to burn it off before it could start when the sensor was disconnected.

Hope that makes sense?

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not yet but i will do.

What are the possibilities there? If it still runs badly would that suggest that the sensor is working ok?

Or that the sensor is broken?

Ive got a corsa with a map sensor but someone has borrowed the car, if i had that i would just try swapping them. Would be nice if theyre the same but corsa isnt back until Sunday :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts