Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a Renault Clio 98 Grande. I recently replaced the coolant and subsequently it has been overheating intermittently. It overheats when its starts from cold the top hose is hot whilst the bottom remains cold. I have bleed the system and squeezed the hoses to remove what i think is an air-lock but the problem still persists. Should i drain the coolant and start again or is there any other ares i should investigate.

many thanks,

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Re: overheatring

Are you going by the gauge in the car or the fact the top hose is hot and the bottom cold? My top hose will be boiling hot and the bottom cold after a long run but this just confirms that my cooling system is working as it should as I've got hot coolant entering the rad at the top and nice cold coolant exiting at the bottom ;)

When you refilled the coolant did you bleed the system fully? I would suggest you most likely have an airlock which needs displacing.

Best way to refill coolant is to get the front of the car as high as possible, especially getting the expansion tank higher than the heater matrix as this is where most airlocks will occur.

I wouldn't suggest that you need to empty and restart but to park nose high and run the engine whilst refilling as the level drops! You'll need to do this with a cool engine to start for obvious reasons!!

D

·
0 Posts
Re: overheatring

Best way i have found to bleed the system is to leave the coolant tank cap off, and keep the bottle filled to the brim with the engine running. When the thermostat opens it will dump about 1/2 litre of coolant out the top of the bottle. When it does, turn off engine, top up / remove coolant as required, and job done

1 - 4 of 4 Posts