Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all well its been 3 weeks since my last visit on here due to my P.C crashing, I managed to get it on again with the use of the start up disk i got to originally install my P.C, however before it crashed i think it was infected as I kept getting a pop up saying my computer was infected and I needed to register with a company called computer registry I decided to follow the link which takes me to a site to clean up my P.C however at a cost££. I get as many as 25 of the same pop ups within 20 mins of being on the P.C any suggestions before the P.C goes in the river!!

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Whatever you do, don't hand over any cash to the site that the warning message takes you to. They're the :censored:s who wrote the virus that's currently giving you so much trouble.

It's a common scam now - write a virus that looks like a legitimate Windows warning, which takes the user to a malware removal website that offers to sort the problem... for a price. It's basically the 21st century electronic version of the good old protection racket, except that this time they break your windows before demanding money, then offer to repair the damage as long as you cough up.

Their software will either be totally bogus (getting rid of their pop-up and doing little else) or will be somebody else's software (usually freeware) stolen and rebranded.

You probably picked it up by inadvertently visiting a malicious web page that exploited a flaw in your web browser. A decent software firewall should stop it from happening in future.

If off the shelf software doesn't get rid of it, then Google the exact warning message that it gives you and see what you find. You'll usually turn up a guide somewhere that'll tell you which files to delete and which registry entries to remove in order to get rid of it manually.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
make sure that you have up to date anti virus software....free one here at grisoft.com,,,AVG 7 also get a free firewall at zone alarms, there are also plenty of free anti spyware programmes, just do a search on google.

Tel

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
And dont rely on the so called better security of Vista as mine crashed yesterday everything froze and took ages to get it back to normal:mad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts