Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Renault Clio mk4 2015reg, 0.9Tce
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have recently scratched my front bumper, I have checked my paint code which is GNE, can anyone advise the best place to order touch up paint from and how to apply it to the bumper.
TIA

Super mod..
Touching in a scratch can be very hit and miss.. it does to some extent the size of the scratch and how deep the scratch is.. some light scratches that have not gone past the clear coat might even buff out.. stick up a pic so we can see how bad it is might be the best course of action..

Registered
Wet the area with some water if the scratch goes away (until the water dries or runs off the scratch) you can buff the clearcoat to remove it yourself! Otherwise its a mobile repair or paint shop unless you want to use a touchup stick & hope for the best.

Registered
Looks like a mobile repair job the area is way too large. The water technique to judge damage is only really for a few light clear coat scratches not deep removed the paint ones like these! Your looking at probably 拢200 they can mask off the lower area to blend it with the upper bumper. But as its a plain colour you can always DIY for under 拢20!

1: Buy some 2000 & 3000 grade emery paper & masking tape.
2: Buy 1 can of primer.
3: Buy 1 black gloss & 1 clear coat laquer in a can.
4: Rub down the area make sure its really smooth using water constantly on the emery paper.
5: Now mask the other areas off & use some newspaper to prevent overspill.
6: Spray several layers of primer. Wait for it to dry then rub down with emery again until your happy it smooth.
7: When the primer is dry & smooth spray with the gloss black. Wait for it to dry check for any blemishes then smooth down again with emery (without water this time).
8: When your happy the gloss black is as good as you can get it is time to spray the clear coat laquer. Wait for it to dry then apply several more layers.

Last stage is use a polish or sealant wax & gently buff when its all dry. Will not look anything like the factory finish but will look a lot better than it does now!

For the sake of 拢200 ish I would just get a decent mobile sprayer to fix this they can do it all within 2 hours usually & they use a red light heater to dry the paint so its ready to drive as well vs would take you several hours & not look as good as a decent mobile repair would. They will probably want to respray the entire front left corner though so might be closer to 拢200 as many cannot be bothered with small jobs anymore!

Hard to tell from the picture but if it needs filling then that will add to the cost & time it takes for a mobile repair. Personally I would not let the car go to a bodyshop for this type of repair that's a few days minimum usually vs mobile repair is 2-3 hours (2 hours if no filler required).

Another method would be use a buffing machine & paste to disguise some of the scratches & a few Renault touchup stick's but it will still be obvious that only works well on very light scratches you can see the primer here they look quite deep!

Registered
Renault Clio mk4 2015reg, 0.9Tce
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I鈥檝e bought a few black paint pens and will carefully fill the scratches in and hopefully buff it up so it doesn鈥檛 look too bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts