Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have been on my quest to find the name of my paint of my 96 mk 1 clio for a while now. I believe the paint code of the door plate is 727, the car is red. This is the only code that is in the format of a paint code going by my search of the forums but how do I find the name?

I would like to get a paint pen or kit from halfords or direct if needed so I can do some touch ups for things I have planned. I have used several online tools to no avail so either I have the wrong number or I am looking in the wrong place!

Thanks in advance, I was also wondering if their was only one red produced in this year or for this age of clio if so anyone who knows their paint code / name might be able to help.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Chicker assuming you paint code is correct - I think the colour is Rouge2C - don't faff about at halfords - go to a decent car paint supplier who work with professionals - they have access to databases, mixing menus and even swatch cards. Try the link below and enter the details, make, code and year.:)

Qnet

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
madnoel10 thanks for that, I tried that site found it from a link another thread but was unsure on product field. also when i clicked on the one result that came up it loaded into two.

I will see what I can find out about my local paint shop as I am not sure where the nearest is and I would prefer a stick or a tub so I can apply with a brush or the stick as the spray would get the whole car area where as my needs are for several little areas.

Anyone know of an online paint mixer who will supply to the door? if not I will be email renault and looking through the phone book

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do,

Had a quick look on ebay and their are a few relaible people which will mix small pots for about £10 their are also some less reliable at a cheaper price but I might go with auto paint as he seems reliable and has good feedback! want to make sure I get the exact colour!

Thanks all for your help

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, I've checked my database, and its a colour known as ROJO VIVO or ROUGE VIF. Don't be put off by people saying that they can't supply it as it contains Lead - there are alternative formulations available.

ROUGE EFFECT (a different Red) was also available on the Clio at this time.

Hope this helps - please bear in mind that your car's colour will almost certainly have 'faded' over this time, so it may be an idea to use some cutting compound (followed with some polish) on the car, before trying to get a paint to match it.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that vel, I will go with that name then as you databases is probably up to date.

I am only going to need this for small touch up points so might be able to get away with the faded look. I will give it a go.

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Thought I may as well tag my post here to save starting another thread.

I've found a number on the oval plate as follows - OV763. Would this be the paint code? If so anyone know what colour it is? I tried on Qnet but it really didn't make any sense to me.

Regards

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi mate, just ran the number through my system, and its a colour called Rojo Etrusco Montaje II / Rouge Etrusque - or, in old money - its a solid red!

If you need a touch up, its the 763 which is the code, the OV just relates to the finish.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: scatz

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Nice one Vel, spot on as per:)

It is just for touching up as I have a zillions (no over exageration either) of stone chips on the bonnet. It might actually be worth having a complete bonnet respray in the long run. It appears that everytime I go out more and more appear, might have something to do with fast roads;)

Probably am gonna need a tin of the stuff also to re do the plastic under the front grill as 50% of the laquer has dissapeared, but that's another day:)

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Just got back from Halfrauds where they had a Renault red called Red Etruscon which I am assuming is the correct paint. £7.49 for a two pen touch up, not bad I suppose. I'll wait to see if it's enough baring in mind the amount of small chips I've got:(

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just remember to test it under the bonet or somewhere else first to check it is right as it is not always!

Good luck and I would let the primer paint dry for atleast 24 hours before applying the colour as their paint is dodgy

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Good advice given.

I would add some thinners to the basecoat before applying with an open paperclip - that way you can be more precise with how much paint (and where it goes). Once its done - leave for a week, then lightly apply some polish to help blend it all in.

Should turn out well if you take your time on it (I'm sure you will).

All the best,

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Not a problem, appreciate the thought anyway.

All the best,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts