Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I have just purchased a j reg espace which is metallic blue.The problem is some parts of the body work seem to have a milky colour which cleaning and polishing doesn't resolve.Also there is what looks like a clear film peeling off the paint in places.Any ideas as to what this all could be and how I can restore the paint? Many thanks.

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Hi there , the clear film is probably clear laquer or clear coat normally applied over metallic colours, if you hang around I'm sure someone will advise as to the next stage :)
Regards Leroy

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi this sounds very like the lacquer that tops the paint to give its shine and protection thats coming away and for the milky part sound like someone has prayed lacquer over lacquer to me i hope this helps the only way to repair this properly would be to have this redone again

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi, as Donald has correctly pointed out - it is the lacquer layer which has either had lacquer applied on top of existing lacquer - or there was moisture present whilst it was being sprayed - its up to you whether you view it as cost effective to repair this or just to live with it.

It may be worth getting a few quotes if its beyond what you feel comfortable to tackle - but bear in mind that on a car of that age, it will be difficult to get a good match (fresh paint with old).

Best of luck with your decision.

Paul:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the replies I guess I will just try and make it less noticable somehow.Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts