Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all.

I'm sure this will have been covered (please point me in the right direction if it has), but I can't find it. I've just bought a facelifted Mark IV Grand Espace and it came without the retractable load cover. I've bought what I think is the correct part, in black from a breakers. It fits perfectly well pulled out lengthways to reach the tailgate but it doesn't appear to be wide enough to fit into the little grooves on the sides (I don't know their name) to stay in place. Does anyone know if I'm missing a bit or do I need the parcel shelf with blinds (that I'm also missing)? Does this just clip on the end of the retractable cover or is it a totally separate part that fits on it's own? Would anyone have a part number for this as I really cannot find one anywhere, especially one that I know will fit my phase 2 car.

Sorry for all the questions, but I really do feel like I'm going daft. I only want to cover the bairn's buggy to save bringing it in every night and my bloody shopping occasionally.............

Thanks in advance for your help, guys. Oh, and I can post pictures if they would help to answer any of my questions!

·
Premium Member
6,683 Posts
Hi

looked at your photo's.
As you say the pegs at the sides are a bit short. The quickest fix would be to extend these pegs.
When its light, can you measure the diameter of these pegs ?
I'm thinking that a short piece of copper tube put over the pegs (either glued or compressed into place)
would extend them and fit into the slots at the side of the car.

As to why the cover doesn't fit, I don't know.

Al

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
2,868 Posts
I’m thinking it may have once had plastic caps on the ends that match the plastic of the interior they slot into.
Something glued or pressed onto the ends should sort it as already advised.
Maybe plastic pipe from local diy shop or even something from old kids toys.
The only other thing that springs to mind is have the ends somehow got pushed too far onto the central piece? Is there a chance they can be gently pulled outwards and re-glued?
HTH

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
1,971 Posts
Yes, the plumbing pipe stuck on with hot glue would be my fix. Hot glue always is.
I do wonder why the top of the slot is so wide though. I wonder if some bracket or other fitted in it as well as the end of the spindle. No matter. Bodge away.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,822 Posts
Just a thought, as those look right , if you extend, how will you get it to close without twisting to much.
Whats yours like @Davegayle

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
2,868 Posts
Just a thought, as those look right , if you extend, how will you get it to close without twisting to much.
Whats yours like @Davegayle
Completely different Stu, flat and almost blade shaped tangs.
Just a thought though, would the cap of a felt pen fit onto the ends of the op’s cover?
It would help advising him if we knew the diameter of the ends...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The wee plastic ends are 9mm, gents. I'm about half an inch away from fitting on both sides. I was wondering if I got the parcel shelf, that it would just slot on and make the whole thing fit? I don't know why Renault make things so complicated.... Again, thanks for taking the time to help. It's greatly appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts