Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
560 Posts
Old thread I know that, but I have asked the same question as I can blow air both ways on mine.

It seems the consensus is that the valve is a 1 way part.

Kriss, did this improve your car?
What symptoms did you have to make you think about the PCV valve?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Old thread I know that, but I have asked the same question as I can blow air both ways on mine.

It seems the consensus is that the valve is a 1 way part.

Kriss, did this improve your car?
What symptoms did you have to make you think about the PCV valve?
hi yoy, if you check my threads you will find one ive done which completely covers this and probs i had with my clio. the probs i had were oil enetering airbox/filter. i was told by the experts on here it was my pcv valve and after hours of searching could NOT find one and the reason for that is on my year clio d4f engine does NOT repeat NOT have one as its fitted inside the rocker cover and can NOT be cleaned stripped or removed so very expensive rocker cover replacement is needed which we did and problem sorted. hope this helps but please read my lenthy thread on this subject

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks, but I DO have a PCV valve on my Scenic and just trying to find out if it's worth buying a new one (£30).
then change it as £30 is nowt compared to the £300 i had to pay for new rocker cover and fitting. if you are getting oil in airbox thats your first port of call. if you have a pcv take it off soak it in solvent for a few hours and try it and if no better change it even one from breakers for a fiver is worth the punt.

·
Banned
560 Posts
The oil is in the inlet manifold and the car runs like sh*te.

Know what you mean about money spent, it's been on diag., had new belt, coils, PCV pipework and air filter so now I'm just thinking of what I can do to improve it without throwing more money away.:d

I cleaned the PCV valve with degreaser and put it back on. I may have noticed a slight improvement in the throttle control, but after a few miles it was sh*te again, so hard to tell.

The valve lets me blow through it both ways, which doesn't sound right, but there are none in stock at dealers or local breakers for me to test.

I'll have to order one in though as it could just be the fix I've been looking for. If not, just another £30 wasted.:mad:

·
Registered
58 Posts
The oil is in the inlet manifold and the car runs like sh*te.

Know what you mean about money spent, it's been on diag., had new belt, coils, PCV pipework and air filter so now I'm just thinking of what I can do to improve it without throwing more money away.:d

I cleaned the PCV valve with degreaser and put it back on. I may have noticed a slight improvement in the throttle control, but after a few miles it was sh*te again, so hard to tell.

The valve lets me blow through it both ways, which doesn't sound right, but there are none in stock at dealers or local breakers for me to test.

I'll have to order one in though as it could just be the fix I've been looking for. If not, just another £30 wasted.:mad:
we have spent £1000 on this clio in the last few months, rocker cover, lanber sensor, new throttle boddies and labour ****e renault. why dont you buy and aftermarket pcv and connect up or is it botted to engine?. oil in the inlet dosnt sound good at all.

·
Banned
560 Posts
why dont you buy and aftermarket pcv and connect up or is it botted to engine?. oil in the inlet dosnt sound good at all.
Apparently all PCV's are designed for certain engines, so generally only the proper ones do the job.:rolleyes:

Oil in the inlet is a result of the valve being open, I'm thinking. The blowby has built up over time.:idunno:

·
Banned
560 Posts
just done search for you on oil in inlet mani, pcv plus blow by, (rings)
When you say blowby, (rings), do you mean worn rings or just general blowby that normally happens?

My searches show a connection between a bunged up pcv valve and oil in the inlet. I'd have thought this would prevent anything getting to the manifold.
:confused:

My valve is open though, so is letting everything in.:d, jamming up the MAP sensor? I've cleaned the MAP sensor, but didn't make any difference.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
The pcv should let everything through, but normally everything is not very much, compared to what's drawn in through the air filter. There may be some kind of device in the pcv pipe to reduce (not eliminate) oil carry over but basically all excess pressure in the crankcase should vent through the pcv valve. If there's a lot more pressure, because piston rings are blowing, then that could confuse the MAP sensor, depending on where its located. The air coming through the pcv won't be air but largely combustion gases. Further confusing the engine management system. I hope its not rings blowing, it might be leaking pcv pipe for example?

·
Banned
560 Posts
There may be some kind of device in the pcv pipe to reduce (not eliminate) oil carry over but basically all excess pressure in the crankcase should vent through the pcv valve. If there's a lot more pressure, because piston rings are blowing, then that could confuse the MAP sensor, depending on where its located. The air coming through the pcv won't be air but largely combustion gases. Further confusing the engine management system. I hope its not rings blowing, it might be leaking pcv pipe for example?
I'm told that the valve should be calibrated to open at a certain pressure and so if mine is open all the time, it's allowing too much in all the time?

A compression test would show up any ring issues, so I'll have to get hold of one before I do much else.:rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.