Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a megane 1 from a guy and have been really happy with the car but bought it to tow our small caravan, the guy who sold it to me had a tow bar and electrics fitted and said he didn't trust tow bar dealers so he had it all done and genuine renault parts were used, I normally fit my own and didn't worry too much, come the caravan season I connected up and the right flashers and brake light plus right side tail lamp were not working.
So blamed the caravan and after hours of working wiring back have found out what it was.
The guy who fitted the electrics at the dealership didn't finish the job!
The loop through wiring was not completed on the right side, so finished up having to wire it in my self.

Contacted the previous owner and he hadn't chance to tow with the megane 1 as he had ordered a new megane!!!!!

Now should I trust Renault??

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
To be honest, I seriously doubt that there's any financial sense in taking a 2001 car to the dealer for servicing/maintenance/breakdown any more, regardless of whom that may be - most work will probably cost more than the car's worth at dealership prices.

Edit: And what is wrong with the word s-t-e-a-l-e-rship - it's a generic reference. Not like I was naming and shaming even a specific make... It's a fact, they all do it!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
In my experience Renault genuine tow bar fitments use a plug-in adaptor.

It may be the garage in question subbed the job out to an outside auto-spark.

I am not defending dealers by the way.:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my experience Renault genuine tow bar fitments use a plug-in adaptor.

It may be the garage in question subbed the job out to an outside auto-spark.

I am not defending dealers by the way.:)
they did use renault adapters but they missed the part that goes into the tow bar loom - the left was ok, the right was not and have now been told that the electrician was called away before completing the right - it was a renault dealership that did it, excuses yes apologise no!

The garage i suppose is only as good as the guy working on your car and apparently they are under pressure to ship out, will stick to either diy or my small independent.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Had a tow bar fitted by Renault dealers to my previous Espace (2000 mk III) all lights worked fine - except the rear fogs. Now I wonder if it was because somebody couldn't be bothered to trace the rear fog wiring as the rear fogs were located in the tailgate and not in the clusters where all the other needed wires were located!

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Edit: And what is wrong with the word s-t-e-a-l-e-rship - it's a generic reference. Not like I was naming and shaming even a specific make... It's a fact, they all do it!
The term is removed from posts automatically because some of the technicians/mechanics that help people out on here work for main dealers and we don't want to put off any of them off from contributing (by infering they deliberately rip people off) because the information they give is invaluable and has helped out many of our members.Anything we can do to encourage the very people at the sharp end who fix the problems that people post on the forum as part of their everyday job has to be a good thing,or wouldn't you agree?.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Totally agree lagdti. I take great pride in my work!! I cannot however control the prices the company charges

1 - 8 of 8 Posts