Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi guys iv been in touch wiv renault vosa tradin standards guess wot no joy! so iv come 2 the conclusion renault r gona do sweet fa about this situation!

yesterday after weeks of letters emails and phone calls i got a renault tecnician 2 look at my bonnet catch suprise suprise he said my bonnet wernt shut rite or it wernt lubricated!! bulls**t! :confused: so 300 or even more of us must not knw how 2 shut our bonnets never heard such crap in my life! under pressure of me n my dad he admitted that renault have told them 2 tell ppl the rubbish about not closin them properly! also he messed up wen i asked him how long they have been oiling bonnet catches on a service he said they always do! i told him i had a service a year ago (i didnt!) and i said i watched them service my car and my bonnet defo wernt oiled! he then admitted that they were instructed 2 oil all bonnet catches 2 months ago wen they heard that watchdog woz on the case!

i thinkl we all need 2 accept that this company r not goin 2 recall this model unfortunatly its gona take some1 loosin there life 2 get this recall!

instead iv decided 2 name and shame them so if any1 is interested in gettin involved send me pics of all ur damaged clios/bonnets/windows/roof damage etc
PM them 2 me

collect as many pics as we can get watchdog reports letters of complaint then every1 contact there local newspaper

after all if u opened a newspaper and read that info u would think twice bout goin 2 renault wouldnt u??????

hope 2 hear from u all soon

kat x

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
:)
hi guys iv been in touch wiv renault vosa tradin standards guess wot no joy! so iv come 2 the conclusion renault r gona do sweet fa about this situation!

yesterday after weeks of letters emails and phone calls i got a renault tecnician 2 look at my bonnet catch suprise suprise he said my bonnet wernt shut rite or it wernt lubricated!! bulls**t! :confused: so 300 or even more of us must not knw how 2 shut our bonnets never heard such crap in my life! under pressure of me n my dad he admitted that renault have told them 2 tell ppl the rubbish about not closin them properly! also he messed up wen i asked him how long they have been oiling bonnet catches on a service he said they always do! i told him i had a service a year ago (i didnt!) and i said i watched them service my car and my bonnet defo wernt oiled! he then admitted that they were instructed 2 oil all bonnet catches 2 months ago wen they heard that watchdog woz on the case!

i thinkl we all need 2 accept that this company r not goin 2 recall this model unfortunatly its gona take some1 loosin there life 2 get this recall!

instead iv decided 2 name and shame them so if any1 is interested in gettin involved send me pics of all ur damaged clios/bonnets/windows/roof damage etc
PM them 2 me

collect as many pics as we can get watchdog reports letters of complaint then every1 contact there local newspaper

after all if u opened a newspaper and read that info u would think twice bout goin 2 renault wouldnt u??????

hope 2 hear from u all soon

kat x
hi Kat, I'm sure you have read the thread the link I have posted below

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/general-forum/6664-bbc-watchdog-report-faulty-renault-clio-bonnet-catches.html

Regards

Ottoman
:)

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
ive seen a few clios over the years ( along the central belt of scotland) (m8) facing a funny direction at the side of the motorway with the bonnet flipped up further than they should be normally smashing the windscreen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its pathetic aint it can any1 tell me is there already a pics thread wer some1 is gatherin pics of damaged clios??

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Clio bonnet catch

Hi - although I own one of the older Clio's (1994 to be exact and the bonnet open forward so little risk of it blowing up) can someone clearly say which catch is failing - is it the primary locking mechanism or the secondary safety catch - or is it both. In my past experience I have never seen a person close a bonnet as clearly recommended in the hand-book which says "Hold the bonnet about 9" (22cm) and let it drop onto its catch and then check it is secure". I am fairly certain the Clio problem has nothing to do with driver or whoever closed it last - but I've seen it happen on other vehicles were it was down to poor maintenace and incorrect closing procedures. Generally I find most bonnet catches on most cars to very poor - because if you were going to race or rally your grannies wee car the first thing scrutineers look for is an additional positive locking mechanism. I think that speaks for itself. Further comment would be appreciated.

·
Registered
77 Posts
bonnett catches

well done madnoel10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at last someone with a bit of sense.lol
my stance on it is; most people slam there bonnets and walk off, they dont check whether its actually shut or not! slamming it too hard can make it bounce back up and not catch.
a lot of these cases and others are people trying to get others to pay for there own stupidity.
granted things break on cars that shouldnt but most things can be avoided by customer sense.
i have 3 renaults and yes they are a pain in th rear sometimes but so are lots of other makes of cars.
you dont buy a car, use it then service it and so on.
some maintenance is down to customers in between.

common sense i say

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
The irony in this context is that it is probably safer to drive one of the older style of Clios (Mark-1s!) then the deathtrap that they call the Mark-2.

Kat, no surprise with the response you received from Renault. Just push them to accept that they MUST repair the damage as the mechanism is not fit for purpose, and they need to proof to you that it was caused by the bonnet not being closed correctly. See what they say!

Explain the technical aspects of the mechanism in that if the catch has not "fully engaged", it can slip "open" without damaging the mechanism making it appear as if the bonnet had not been closed properly.

All of this equates to you or the '00s or '000s of other Clio owners have NOT done anything wrong!!!! It is Renault's issue through and through - no question!

It was for them to proof that it isn't an issue with the mechanism - and DO NOT accept anything they quote RE VOSA - because it was not a impartial investigation - and has flaws....they asked Renault to test the mechanisms and come back with their findings - hmmm....what would you say in this example?

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Let me respond to the below in parts

Hi - although I own one of the older Clio's (1994 to be exact and the bonnet open forward so little risk of it blowing up)
You are defo one of the lucky ones!

Can someone clearly say which catch is failing - is it the primary locking mechanism or the secondary safety catch - or is it both.
According to Renault - they don't know which - they blame both. But keep stating that both mechanisms are operated independently - what are the chances that both give way at the SAME TIME. Yep very slim - 0.01% I guess, if not less...now multiple this chance over 2000+ cases - hmmmm....that's a very unlucky and poor statistics of the fault!

In short, both catches are failing...

1) the safety (which is engaged first when you close it, and which is the one release with your hand underneath the bonnet to push the lever) is not being engaged at all - i.e. stuck "open". This means the only catch that IS engaging is the main catch...read 2) This catch SHOULD NOT be called a safety catch - as it fails in its primary function, as it not engaged in all cases!

2) the main catch (which is the only you release through the passenger-cabin release lever), is engaging, but the risk of this not engaging fully is quite high it seems. This is the real issue, as the secondary/safety catch should only be "activated" if the main one fails or is not engaged fully!

In my past experience I have never seen a person close a bonnet as clearly recommended in the hand-book which says "Hold the bonnet about 9" (22cm) and let it drop onto its catch and then check it is secure".
Yeah I am glad you added some humour too because I stated the obvious to Renault HQ - stating that are you stating that non of the Renault customers can close a bonnet - they responded saying "closing a bonnet was straightforward", so I butted in and stated therefore the chances of someone not following the prescribed process if very rare then (it could happen, but that's the purpose of the safety catch - right?)

I am fairly certain the Clio problem has nothing to do with driver or whoever closed it last - but I've seen it happen on other vehicles were it was down to poor maintenace and incorrect closing procedures. Generally I find most bonnet catches on most cars to very poor - because if you were going to race or rally your grannies wee car the first thing scrutineers look for is an additional positive locking mechanism. I think that speaks for itself. Further comment would be appreciated.
Nope you are right, it is the design and manufacturing (parts used) of the mechanism. If you design something that is flimsy it will give...as in this example...

Now if you had your car door lock-mechanism made in the same material, not only would it open as you went around a roundabout, but people could easily break into your car :)

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
well done madnoel10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at last someone with a bit of sense.lol
my stance on it is; most people slam there bonnets and walk off, they dont check whether its actually shut or not! slamming it too hard can make it bounce back up and not catch.
a lot of these cases and others are people trying to get others to pay for there own stupidity.
granted things break on cars that shouldnt but most things can be avoided by customer sense.
i have 3 renaults and yes they are a pain in th rear sometimes but so are lots of other makes of cars.
you dont buy a car, use it then service it and so on.
some maintenance is down to customers in between.

common sense i say
yes, but if you reference a couple of cases, where it happend after the car went in for servicing (i.e. the last person to "touch" the catches was a Renault mechanic - this really does indicated that it is not the user, but the design and construction of the mechanism.

If very POOR parts are used, you can maintain it as much as you like, but this doesn't stop the chances of them failing together! You will also find that you can maintain them too much, keep putting oil, WD40, or similar etc can just make it bung up with dirt and grim...so again, can actually increase the risk of the mechnaism failing!

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I must say, the safety catch looks like a particularly bad design on the Clio II - on my Lag, it's a simple lever, none of this pull out plastic piece levering the catch open...

You can say the bonnet wasn't shut properly, but I think most people drop them the last foot or so, and if that doesn't shut it properly, what will? Cleary there's something quite fundamentally wrong with the design.

And I totally agree with you brigatti - the catches on my car were in a right state when I got it, all bunged up with crud from where they'd been liberally sprayed with grease and left to attract dirt, I cleaned them up and oiled them just where the moving surfaces were - I think the important thing is ensuring the mechanism is clean and free from obstruction in its travel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts