Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Sadly I have to add my Laguna 1.9 to the long list, Turbo blew on Sat. No warning, for about 2 miles it was hesitant at low revs then Lots of smoke engine ran away , had to stall it. No warning light nothing just bang.
Car done 109,000 had it from new 3years 3 months old. full renault service history but 36,000 done late (38,000) so no chance with Renault to much milage and 1 bad service.

So back to my question...
Found new Garrat Turbo £505 from Welcome to Speedways.co.uk
Spend sunday stipping out all pipes & Intercooler and washing all the oil out. Lots of oil in pipes!

Took out EGR Valve it broke in half taking it out! it was gunged up big time. Even had gunge on the inside (cant see this unless you break it in half).

So i need a new EGR valve any one know were to get one apart from Renault? its a Pierberg 722818 43

How much are they from Renault?

Tip if you take out your EGR valve Twist it if you pull it it will split in half !

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Hello,

Mine split in half ages ago, but its just the three little rivets that hold 2 separate parts together. once cleaned and rebolted in it still worked ok. Its just the valve part and solenoid section coming away from each other.

maybe not all is lost

Murchin.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,

Mine split in half ages ago, but its just the three little rivets that hold 2 separate parts together. once cleaned and rebolted in it still worked ok. Its just the valve part and solenoid section coming away from each other.

maybe not all is lost

Murchin.
thats interesting never considered that, i supose the mounting bolts keep it in place. This lot seem to have it for £75 osCommerce

Gary

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry to hear about your popped turbo my friend.....but I'm now fearful about driving mine!! At the moment, I'm getting quite an annoying "hesitation" at low revs but then later at speed - the power rocks but the rev counter remains constant. Scared it gonna happen soon.....

Is there anything I can check now to save it - before impending doom happens???

www.myspace.com/euphoric_sound

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear about your popped turbo my friend.....but I'm now fearful about driving mine!! At the moment, I'm getting quite an annoying "hesitation" at low revs but then later at speed - the power rocks but the rev counter remains constant. Scared it gonna happen soon.....

Is there anything I can check now to save it - before impending doom happens???

www.myspace.com/euphoric_sound
From the investigations of mine seems that mine was leaking oil out turbo for sometime, probably the turbo seal has been weeping .
If yours is a 1.9 you will see a 2 inch aluminium tube. That runs diagonally from turbo to front radiator it joins a rubber pipe close to the radiator if this pipe is covered in thick oil bad sign. Undo clip and see if any oil inside if it is stop driving and get a new turbo! To check state of EGR easy way is to undo 2 inch black plastic pipe above egr (comes off easy) and look inside if thick black sludge inside EGR needs to come out and be cleaned ( I got about ½ cup full of thick black tar out of mine).

Gary

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update ..
Been to Renault £196.33 for new egr oil feed & return pipes. EGR gasket and some nuts.

EGR valve & oil pipes are new part numbers Old parts have been changed (upgraded?)
EGR valve was £120 plus vat

Brand new Garrett Turbo £511 inc Vat and delivery from Welcome to Speedways.co.uk Nice people very helpfull funny they know all about Laguna Turbo's....

Gary

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the prompt reply!!

Right I've just been having a look under the bonnet and being no mechanic myself, I must say it took a little while to even find where the turbo was!!

Anyways, the pipe which I think you referred to which if leaning into the engine bay from the front, appears to eminate from just in front of the alternator and passes right behind the radiator and fan (right??) - is indeed grimy. The fan itself for some reason appears to be dribbling something - See picture, which I'm not sure if this has then splattered onto the silver pipe...

I have no idea where the EGR is or what it even looks like!!

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the prompt reply!!

Right I've just been having a look under the bonnet and being no mechanic myself, I must say it took a little while to even find where the turbo was!!

Anyways, the pipe which I think you referred to which if leaning into the engine bay from the front, appears to eminate from just in front of the alternator and passes right behind the radiator and fan (right??) - is indeed grimy. The fan itself for some reason appears to be dribbling something - See picture, which I'm not sure if this has then splattered onto the silver pipe...

I have no idea where the EGR is or what it even looks like!!
Yes you have the correct pipe if you undo the jubilee clip and seperate it there should be no oil inside (this is the feed into the inter cooler from the turbo). Yours looks pretty good you couldnt see the jubilee clip on mine!
not sure what the oil is in the middle, has sombody spilt some toping up oil or changing oil filter?

Gary

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Hello all,

If you want to check your turbo, the best way is to undo the intake air pipe to the turbo, this is the pipe that comes from the airfilter. If you undo the jubilee clip at the turbo end, pull the pipe away you will be able to see the compressor ( do this with the engine cold) it should have no end float( in and out) and just a little sideways movement, enough to feel not really move.

best of luck

Murchin

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Ok Sadly I have to add my Laguna 1.9 to the long list, Turbo blew on Sat. No warning, for about 2 miles it was hesitant at low revs then Lots of smoke engine ran away , had to stall it. No warning light nothing just bang.
Car done 109,000 had it from new 3years 3 months old. full renault service history but 36,000 done late (38,000) so no chance with Renault to much milage and 1 bad service.

So back to my question...
Found new Garrat Turbo £505 from Welcome to Speedways.co.uk
Spend sunday stipping out all pipes & Intercooler and washing all the oil out. Lots of oil in pipes!

Took out EGR Valve it broke in half taking it out! it was gunged up big time. Even had gunge on the inside (cant see this unless you break it in half).

So i need a new EGR valve any one know were to get one apart from Renault? its a Pierberg 722818 43

How much are they from Renault?

Tip if you take out your EGR valve Twist it if you pull it it will split in half !
Looks like you got off pretty lightly at 700 notes... :eek:
Surely they ought to clean the EGR in the service? This is a regular - 1 in 10 by 100k? - fault, like a cambelt would be probably. Selling it and servicing it without announcing this problem is criminal - no doubt.

:confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like you got off pretty lightly at 700 notes... :eek:
Surely they ought to clean the EGR in the service? This is a regular - 1 in 10 by 100k? - fault, like a cambelt would be probably. Selling it and servicing it without announcing this problem is criminal - no doubt.

:confused:
I totally agree every oil change from now on is going to include cleaning the EGR, already changing oil every 8,000 90% motorway.

When I went to pick up EGR price had risen another £35 part had been upgraded again ! complained and said I wasn’t going to pay more again after they had taken my money, after a bit of hassle got it for original price. Comparing old and new the look identical. So don’t know if they have been upgraded or not.
Gary

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello all,

If you want to check your turbo, the best way is to undo the intake air pipe to the turbo, this is the pipe that comes from the airfilter. If you undo the jubilee clip at the turbo end, pull the pipe away you will be able to see the compressor ( do this with the engine cold) it should have no end float( in and out) and just a little sideways movement, enough to feel not really move.

best of luck

Murchin
Have both my failed turbo and a brand new Garrett side by side no end float on either and side to side about 1 mm movement if you look at the gap between turbine blades and side wall (on both). So the bearings on my failed turbo are fine.

The oil seal however are gone. If i connect up the oil feed pipe and blow (blocking oil exit with finger) I can blow lots of air into the compressor side (non seems to go into the exhaust side).
So it seems the oil seals have gone on mine and the rest of it is ok! wonder if you can chage the oil seals?

Gary

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Hello.

Before you fit your new turbo, check your oil return to the engine is clear and unobstructed. also make sure your engine breathers are all clear.

I've had nothing but trouble trying to replace the turbo on mine, first one fried itself for no apparent reason, and i'm not sure what state the second one is in, when fitted it seemed noisy, but started it today and while cold it was fine. havent run it properly yet as I wanted to test the oil pressure to the turbo( 17 psi while cold-cranking only) so I think oil pressure is not the cause, need to change the oil again as debris from the breather fell into the sump.

best of luck

Murchin.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello.

Before you fit your new turbo, check your oil return to the engine is clear and unobstructed. also make sure your engine breathers are all clear.

I've had nothing but trouble trying to replace the turbo on mine, first one fried itself for no apparent reason, and i'm not sure what state the second one is in, when fitted it seemed noisy, but started it today and while cold it was fine. havent run it properly yet as I wanted to test the oil pressure to the turbo( 17 psi while cold-cranking only) so I think oil pressure is not the cause, need to change the oil again as debris from the breather fell into the sump.

best of luck

Murchin.
Thanks for the tip have new oil pipes, but hadnt thought about checking oil return. Going to check breathers. Approved Turbo Components - Troubleshooting is interesting reading. and Inside Turbo is good seems turbos dont have oils seals well not rubber ones anyway!

Gary

1 - 14 of 14 Posts