Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had to replace 2 dipped h7 Bulb on my wife's Clio 2 2003 car today - it was freezing outside but dry. What a pig of a job getting them back into the headlight , - i have changed numerous bulbs on many cars before and they have been a piece of **** but feck me, whether I was doing it wrong or what , but what should have took 10 minutes took nearly over half hour, it was a pain in the **** to get them back in - what a ****ty design. me fingers were numb in the end.

On another note my local Halfords (in Ireland) wanted 12euro a piece for these H7 bulbs , and my wife was up Northern Ireland the other day. i said to her do me a favour can you find a motor factors up there and ask how much a H7 bulb is .. she checked and they were £2.50 each! - 2 bulbs out of my local halfords would have cost 24euro ... she gets the 2 bulbs out of motor factors in NI for a fiver - bloody glad I asked her to get them up there .

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,656 Posts
whether I was doing it wrong or what , but what should have took 10 minutes took nearly over half hour, it was a pain in the **** to get them back in - what a ****ty design. me fingers were numb in the end. .
Teach the wife to change the bulbs herself next time .... tell her it'll make her feel empowered .... and it'd be easier with her smaller hands.:grin2: Suffer no more. :wink2:

Reactions: Andyr52

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
8,568 Posts
RW, I take it you tried that, and you are still changing all the bulbs, but now have a permanent lump on your head where the pan struck :grin2::grin2:

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
25,070 Posts
IIRC correctly on the Clios, jack up, remove wheel and attack from below.
But may be wrong.

·
7,899 Posts
If someone as fitted the optional bigger battery the nearside one become
dam near impossible to do.

·
25,070 Posts
that could be the fog lights in the front bumper you are referring to there maybe?
Could be Andy...tis a vague memory but thought I'd throw it in and see if anyone said yes or twonker :grin2:

Pet hate of many of us, headlamp bulb changing.

Lighting designers go to all sorts of efforts to make bulb fitting easy and foolproof.
Then car designer stuffs all sorts of gubbins in the way.... like engine, battery, coolant tank etc etc.

Any consolation, Big Orange place over here charges 10 quid per blub for their own bog standard H7s.
Which is why I never buy blubs from them.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
42,293 Posts
3.80£ here, unless you are on Trade one at one of the motor factors then 1£.
So there is a fair mark up on bulbs...

Reactions: BehnK and Andyr52

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could be Andy...tis a vague memory but thought I'd throw it in and see if anyone said yes or twonker :grin2:

Pet hate of many of us, headlamp bulb changing.

Lighting designers go to all sorts of efforts to make bulb fitting easy and foolproof.
Then car designer stuffs all sorts of gubbins in the way.... like engine, battery, coolant tank etc etc.

Any consolation, Big Orange place over here charges 10 quid per blub for their own bog standard H7s.
Which is why I never buy blubs from them.
it was tight yeah with the battery and all that but what I found difficult was twisting the bulbs back in to catch and hold the bulb, was i supposed to twist the connector clockwise/anticlockwise? I didnt have a clue , ... I still dont have a clue .. i did it the the end after a few profanities. - I just think there must be some magical easy way that I just didnt know about. I'd love to see how the professional renault mechanics to see how they do it, it most probably takes them seconds to unscrew and screw back in, they most probably have it down to a fine art by now.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
42,293 Posts
No, they send the customers Halfrauds>:)

·
8,568 Posts
it was tight yeah with the battery and all that but what I found difficult was twisting the bulbs back in to catch and hold the bulb, was i supposed to twist the connector clockwise/anticlockwise? I didnt have a clue , ... I still dont have a clue .. i did it the the end after a few profanities. - I just think there must be some magical easy way that I just didnt know about. I'd love to see how the professional renault mechanics to see how they do it, it most probably takes them seconds to unscrew and screw back in, they most probably have it down to a fine art by now.
no they specifically employ someone with the arms and hands the size of a 12 year old girl to do all the blub jobs >:)>:)

·
25,070 Posts
Fairly certain clockwise to lock.

Now imagine the type with the little springy clip thing in that sort of space ......
Which the Kia has,
Probably should take battery out :wink2:
Other side have to take coolant bottle out.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would have been nice if Renault made it where with 3 or 4 bolts could take whole headlights out without having to take off the bumper! - I would have rather dont that than try and wrestle blindly how these bulbs went back in

·
7,899 Posts
Trouble is your looking at it upside down and back to front so if you
just do it your ok but once you think about it your buggered and loose
all confidence in which way it turns .

·
25,070 Posts
no they specifically employ someone with the arms and hands the size of a 12 year old girl to do all the blub jobs >:)>:)
Phone up your local dealers and ask how much to change a blub.
Not sure on the Sodum but Scenic the Renault book says the job involves removing the bumper and headlamp unit so I've heard of prices in region of hours labour...70-90 quid.
Scenic bumper doesn't need to come off BTW but do need flexi arms and hands.

·
25,070 Posts
Would have been nice if Renault made it where with 3 or 4 bolts could take whole headlights out without having to take off the bumper! - I would have rather dont that than try and wrestle blindly how these bulbs went back in
Not so long ago, had to change blubs on a Polo.
One (2??) bolt per light, slide and remove complete headlamp, swap blub, reverse to refit.
Summat like 15 minutes for both lights, no scars and included showing the owner how to do it.

·
8,568 Posts
just tried an online mechanic for my car and see attached for someone to come to my house and replace two dipped and two main beam blubs, inlcuding bringing the blubs with him :grin2: all in cost

Attachments

1 - 20 of 65 Posts